R1100S Front Tyre.

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

HerrFlick

R1100S Front Tyre.

Postby HerrFlick » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:49 am

Throughout my R1100S ownership it's been a love-hate thing, mostly centred around the uncertain, non-planted feel I got from the front end.

Yes - it got me around corners but it was always heart-in-mouth if I decided to get frisky. Tight corners were the worst, as if keeled well over, the front felt like it wanted understeer and wash out from under me. Brrrrrr. Felt like too much rake/trail.

I fitted a 25mm shorter GS rear stay arm and raised the rear ride height to max. This helped noticeably, but only up to a point. Grrrr.

My other machine is an '82 GL1100 Goldwing, that I began to ride after I'd bought my "S". I'd never ridden any Goldwings, and to say that I was almost dumfounded at its sense of "being planted", front and rear, is an understatement. What a contrast with the "S".

By this stage I'd decided to sell the "S", not only because of the handling, but also because it has no oil cooler fan. Here in Oz, crawling in traffic on 35C days, the engine/oil temp soars and the fuelling gets lean c/- intake temp sensor heat soak. Makes it run like a bag of sh**e. (The Wing has a far better cooling system design).

So - Front tyre was a Michelin Road Pilot 2, c/- PO.

I replaced it several days ago with a Road Pilot 4. Did I say I got a new bike??? Did I what!!! Just Amazeballs. There ya go.!

:laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5:

Cheers.

John C.

==============================================
On top of that, I discovered I can fit an RT oil cooler fan to my 'S'. Whoo hooo. :-)

Now I can't hate it any more, but one bike still has to go. The 'S' has bucket-loads more low to mid range punch (c/- the GS intake tubes), ferocious brakes, but the Wing is smoother, has a better cooling system for hot climes, and I think might still have the handling edge (changes direction more quickly, easily).
Real torque curves don't have a first derivative. :-^)

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:33 pm

Never had a problem with the PR2. Stable tyre and not the quickest steering for track use but you do get good mileage. PR4's wear a bit quicker but what the heck. It is a bike not a pram.
'Let me check my concernometer.'

GerryB

Postby GerryB » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:23 am

Both my bikes have Bridgestones .

I had a bad experience with Dunlops , tracking and generally leaving a bad feeling in me .

No feeling of confidence , loss of grip for no reason , decide to take a different line though a corner of its own decision ....

The Bridgestones seem good , long wearing and most of all stable and predictable .

Just my own experience .
Old man ... now .
Ex Off Road & Enduro Rider...

HerrFlick

Re: R1100S Front Tyre. Update. :-)

Postby HerrFlick » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:15 pm

The good news continues.

Have now covered a couple of thousand km on our scratching roads in the nearby ranges, and all I can continue to say is "wow!".

OK. Probably the norm for most ppl here, but given that I was ready to sell HerrFlick because of the nervous, unsettling understeer with the RP2, to now having a front end that feels like it's on a rail with the RP4, may be a bit of useful news to some Trixters.

The extra font end 'confidence' has, in my mind, changed the shape of corners I'm approaching, so instead of seeing a tight looking turn ahead, I now see a gentle curve, and swoop through it. :mrgreen: OK. Might sound strange to some but there it is. On the last outing I touched my boots on a few turns so I think I'd better ease off a touch. (This is with the shorter GS brake stay arm and rear ride height at max).

HTH.

JC.

tanneman

Re: R1100S Front Tyre.

Postby tanneman » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:50 pm

Glad you have sorted it. Enjoy the ride.
'Let me check my concernometer.'

HerrFlick

Re: R1100S Front Tyre.

Postby HerrFlick » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:21 am

tanneman wrote:Glad you have sorted it. Enjoy the ride.

Ohhh I am. :-)

Although the 3rd lap on the roundabout gets some strange looks.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Although 39C weather is taxing the S's cooling. And mine. [smilie=scared.gif]

Return to “Boxertech”