Shock factory by Mike capon

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Mitch1100

Re: Shock factory by Mike capon

Postby Mitch1100 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:03 am

RSBowling wrote:Hi Mitch,
Compression and rebound are both adjusted simultaneously via the turn wheel on the shock.
Cheers,
Rich

My mistake thought it was Wilbers you'd fitted. The M shocks read up well, interested to see how you find them.
2009 HP2 Sport...sold
2006 R1200s with yellow rim tape
2008 Ducati Monster S4RS Tricolore..sold
2004 R1100s BoxerCup Replika..sold
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318/600

RSBowling

Postby RSBowling » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:50 am

Hi Mitch,
The thread originally had the title wilbers eco line, but during my searching I decided not to go with wilbers. Once the weather picks up I will be out, and once I've fettled them, I'll post a accurate review. I do have high hopes for them however.
Cheers,
Rich

kfrogzx7

Postby kfrogzx7 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:08 pm

They look good Rich and like the others I look forward to your road test :)
Was the price you got a special discount or do you think that's the standard rate for the pair of M shoxs, it's just that the website quotes £350 ea ?
Simon.
K100rs, R1100s, R1150rs, R1200st, K1300s

Joe Bar

Postby Joe Bar » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:57 pm

I've had Shock Factory twin shocks on my Bonneville for nearly three years now after trying Hagons and giving them three attempts to get them right. The Shock Factory items worked straight out of the box. Like the monoshocks they do the rebound and compression adjusts via one knob in a fixed ratio set at teh factory. Very simple to adjust and tune in to get thr ride you want. You really can feel the difference as you twek through the settings.

We have the Shock Factory monshock on my wife's Ducati Scrambler as well and again worked great straight from the box. My wife's a competent rider but not an anorak or fiddler, she just gets on a rides. But, if I have ridden her Scrambler and tweaked up the shock a bit firmer (I do tend to abuse it on the odd occasion I ride it :lol: ) she will notice the difference when she next rides the bike and ask me to put it back where it was!

Great shocks, and for the money, excellent value I think.

RSBowling

Postby RSBowling » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:37 pm

Hi,
Yes I can't wait too get out and see how they fair up! I will definitely let you guys know my honest thoughts. No real discount mate, maybe a tenner off. The front shock, I believe is a modified 'twin shock', beautifully engineered, less adjustment than the rear, but still ample. I paid £550 all in for the pair, and I'm sure if you ring Mike he will do the same deal, I'm no vip.
Hi joe, yeah I've spoke to a few people, and read some review online and I'm yet to hear a bad word! Great you can post your experience on here too! At this moment in time, I cannot see a better performance/value package on the market.
Cheers guys,
Rich

RSBowling

Postby RSBowling » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:53 pm

Update,
This afternoon was the first ride out I've had since my extensive winter project. Was not concentrating on one particular aspect, so this is a 'first impressions' review.
My riding is fast B roads, minimal breaking or hard acceleration, just high corner speed, lean angle, good quick flowing riding.
I was sceptical as to what benefits I'd get from new suspension, as my old set up, after some adjustment was capable, albeit slightly harsh.
But from the moment I got on the bike, the difference was immediate. In a straight line over missing Tarmac, ripples and harsh bumps, the bike simply felt as though it flattened the bumps, as opposed to riding over them. The quality and comfort is beautiful. If the old suspension could be described as riding on plastic wheels (not grip based!), then it now feels like it's on quality, complient rubber!
Cornering isn't transformed, just improved. The bike already handled well, but now it's easier and in my opinion it feels safer. Bike still has precision, but mid corner bumps/ripples do not push the front off line. Before the old front shock seemed to really firm up when quick, sharp movements were asked of it, now it just deals with it, keeping the feel from the tyre at a constant.
Rear shock may need a touch more preload and damping, but before I try that I'll check tyre pressure, feels a little soft.
So first review could not be more positive, is simply quality with performance.
Hope this sways someone to buy a set of these shocks.
Cheers,
Rich

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:42 am

Sounds good, thanks for the info. I've been in touch with Mike regarding a set for my 1200ST, but he still needs an owner to make a bike available for half a day before he can get on with production. I'm off to Spain through France at the end of May, but travelling well to the west of Mike's place, otherwise I'd have volunteered to be the guinea pig! :)

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

kfrogzx7

Postby kfrogzx7 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:31 pm

Thanks for the review Rich, like Pete I've ordered a set for my ST, so hopefully he'll have something for us before the spring !!
In fact once the clocks have changed and I've got more time I might even offer to ride up for him to measure up my bike, rather depends on whether he could do it at the weekend.
Simon.

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:46 pm

kfrogzx7 wrote:Thanks for the review Rich, like Pete I've ordered a set for my ST, so hopefully he'll have something for us before the spring !!
In fact once the clocks have changed and I've got more time I might even offer to ride up for him to measure up my bike, rather depends on whether he could do it at the weekend.

I might have misunderstood him, but isn't his production place in France? Or are you there as well?! Seems a long ride from Suffolk! :)

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

kfrogzx7

Postby kfrogzx7 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:53 pm

Oh yes, I see, I thought it could be done at Market Harborough.
No, in that case that won't work .... dam.
Simon.

RSBowling

Postby RSBowling » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:55 pm

Hi guys,
I'm pleased that you have decided to choose mikes shocks, you will be very pleased I'm sure. Well whenever I have spoke to him he has been in France.
I'm sure if you call him he would come up with a plan.
Let's know how you get on.
Cheers,
Rich

KeithW

Postby KeithW » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:34 am

Hi Guys, Have bought a set of these for my 11s after looking at the other options and costs available, not yet tested as I am upgrading other bits to the bike but after speaking to Mike Capon and reading the reviews it was a no brainer really.
These shocks are a quality bit of kit.

RSBowling

Postby RSBowling » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:32 pm

Nice one Keith, you have made a great choice, I'm sure you will be happy with them.
Rich

Betelguese

Postby Betelguese » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:17 pm

Hi, how are you finding the shocks - I assume you've tested them by now. Was there any discussion about shock length as I'd like to raise the ride height on mine. I've got a footpeg lowering kit on mine and could do with an increase in ground clearance.

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:19 pm

I've just looked at the Shock Factory website - the price for a pair now seems to be £700 rather than the £550 paid by Rich back in January. That's a hell of an increase! It can't be Brexit-related, the exchange rate is much the same as it was back in January. :?

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Return to “Boxertech”