R1100S Lambda Sensor looms

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

tanneman

R1100S Lambda Sensor looms

Postby tanneman » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:06 pm

There I am today in the garage to polish the Laser pipes before fitting it and getting the old original ones off. It is then I noticed that the Lambda sensor is a bit short to reach the fitting in the new pipe. Panels off, tank lifted but not enough give in the loom. So, is there another Lambda sensor and loom that I can plug in that is longer? I need another 1/2 a foot or so to make it work.
'Let me check my concernometer.'

SP250

Re: R1100S Lambda Sensor looms

Postby SP250 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:28 pm

Its only 3 wires.
If you carefully remove the plugs from each end and substitute a longer bit of wire to make up the required length.
Or just cut it and solder in another 6 inches making good with heatshrink covering etc.
John M

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:20 pm

That is quite possible. But why would it be necessary when the system is an approved after market system? Anybody care to shed light on this. I know of only one other bike with the same system fitted. Don't remember anything different about it. I can run the bike without the Lambda but don't know how the Motronic would react to it.

slparry

Postby slparry » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:36 pm

tanneman wrote:That is quite possible. But why would it be necessary when the system is an approved after market system? Anybody care to shed light on this. I know of only one other bike with the same system fitted. Don't remember anything different about it. I can run the bike without the Lambda but don't know how the Motronic would react to it.

my BCR has a full remus system and ever since I've owned it the Lambda has been disconnected. Seems to run well enough :)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

RonB58

Postby RonB58 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:05 am

I recently fitted a de-cat pipe and of course had to remove the sensor from its socket in the loom. Did you cut the cable tie securing it to the loom under the tank as the cable seemed to me to be quite long? I would have thought if the sensor was going in to your new exhaust system it would be in a similar location to the old one and there should be enough length in the cable. Did you unscrew the sensor from the cat or take sensor and cable off as a unit? I had to double up the cable once I refitted mine.
Just a thought.

Ron

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:48 pm

Problem solved. The solution is as follow:

The Laser race or 2-1-2 exhaust have the Lambda sensor fitting further back. On Laser or OE exhausts the Lambda sensor is fitted at the front of the cat hence the loom appear to be too short. I do not know where the de-cat pipe Lambda sensor fitting is but this might help.

You'll need a pair of snips, tie wraps as required 4mm I think, a flat blade screw driver and a 22mm open end spanner.

Assuming the exhaust has been removed. Remove the panels. Remove the fuel tank. All the work is now on the right hand side of the bike. Trace the loom to the connector under the tank. This is tie wrapped to the frame. Cut the tie wraps that secures the loom to the frame and unplug the sensor. The plug is keyed so can fit only one way. Remove the sensor loom from the bike, you will have to remove a clip and cut a small tie wrap under the inlet tube/throttle body. Retain this clip. Screw the Lambda sensor into the exhaust. Doing it this way prevent twisting the loom. You may have noted that the 4 wires that makes up the loom is twisted. Do not untwist this because it protects the signal from the sensor to the Motronic unit. Thread the sensor loom under the gearbox and up behind the inlet tube/throttle body and position it so as not to cause obstruction or rubbing against other items. Behind the throttle body there is a clip with a spare space, feed the sensor loom in there. Take the clip previously removed and use it to secure the sensor loom under the gearbox. The fins might be just big enough for the clip to hold on and prevent the loom from sagging and resting on the exhaust. You can now plug the sensor loom back in and tie wrap the loom in place taking care not to crush the wires. Replace the tank and fit the body panels.

Hope this helps for future reference.

Return to “Boxertech”