Rebuilding rear drive unit

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

HarrisBikeNut

Rebuilding rear drive unit

Postby HarrisBikeNut » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:46 pm

Anyone able to recommend someone to rebuild a rear hub for an R1100S? Been offered a spare which I would like to have refurbished for "just in case".......

Bob
2003 Randy Mamola BCR
2004 K1200LT
2003 Multistrada 1000
CB500S (sold)
ZZR1100 project.
1995 K1100RS

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of fight in the dog!"

f90x

Re: Rebuilding rear drive unit

Postby f90x » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:58 am

Mike Overy from Overland and classic

He has a great reputation. I took mine there but have to be honest got messed about a bit. Primarily because he is always flat out and then he went on holiday. Bad timing really and he should have contacted me befor it all went sideways but I feel it's his logistics that are a problem rather than the quality of work.

Here's the link with his contact details from a post on UKGSR

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread ... -am-moving
R1200GS TC. Triple Black
R1200S. It’s gone. Had it 11yrs. My favourite bike in 42yrs riding.

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:02 pm

Yes, I used Mike for my rebuild on y 1200S as he was 10 miles away from me. I dropped the unit in to him on Monday and picked it up on the following Saturday.
Logistics is the problem i am sure, the work was great and 5 days can't be sniffed at.
10 KTM RC8

f90x

Postby f90x » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:26 pm

I think Humbug/Steves experience is the norm. Unfortunately mine was not. I dropped two off with the idea of swapping internals from one to the other because of external condition. I left it on a Monday and he said he'd have it ready within two weeks as he had 3 on the bench in front of mine. He was to go on holiday in two weeks time. That was fine because 'I' was going no on holiday in two weeks time as well. I foolishly didn't chase it until the end of the second week and called a number of times until he answered and he tells me that he didn't have time to do it and he goes on holiday the next day. When I left it with him I explained that two weeks was OK but I did need it back for the following week as I too was going away. Granted I should have chased earlier (but really as he's offering a service why didn't he let me know it couldn't be done) but he was also just going to disappear on holiday for three weeks without contacting me either. My unfixed FD's had to stay in his unattended workshop for an extra three weeks and I had to cancel my trip. Upon his return I decided not to have the work done and just used the replacement FD as it was. I should have just done that in the first place. It's fine and I wouldn't have been bike less for six weeks.
R1200GS TC. Triple Black
R1200S. It’s gone. Had it 11yrs. My favourite bike in 42yrs riding.

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

HarrisBikeNut

Postby HarrisBikeNut » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:38 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I will give him a call Monday.

Bob
2003 Randy Mamola BCR
2004 K1200LT
2003 Multistrada 1000
CB500S (sold)
ZZR1100 project.
1995 K1100RS

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of fight in the dog!"

Return to “Boxertech”