Possibly found a Gem

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Grip Fast

Possibly found a Gem

Postby Grip Fast » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:46 pm

The exhaust stud nuts on my R12S have been badly corroded for a long while, and I wanted to replace them. Horror stories about broken studs convinced me I didn't want to tackle it myself, so I set about finding someone who could also drill out any studs that broke.

My first choice said they wouldn't touch the job, but recommended someone else, who said he didn't fancy it, ("the studs will just break and then I'll have to take the cylinder heads off..."). But he recommended an ex-BMW motorcycle service manager who'd set up on his own.

So I called Ian at Bike Motor Works in Grendon, Northants, and he said, "get a set of nuts and call me back to book it in". Today, I received the nuts, so called Ian. "I'm leaving at 3:15 today, so if you can get it here by 3, I'll have a go".

So, I rode the bike out to Grendon (15 miles), and 20 mins later, including a bit of chatting, my shiny new nuts were on. "Hardly ever break them", he said, "done loads and you just need to run the bike till it's hot and make sure the socket is a really tight fit and, mostly, off they'll come". "I also have a jig for drilling out broken studs in situ, but it rarely comes to that."

How much? "Oh a couple of quid in the tea fund'll do".

He has all the test equipment, wheel balancing kit (so can do tyres), and has restored bikes. BMWs are his bread-and-butter, but he also looks after old classic Japanese, Italian, etc.

tanneman

Re: Possibly found a Gem

Postby tanneman » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:53 pm

Only heard good things of him. Conveniently close to me too.
'Let me check my concernometer.'

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:37 pm

I think I read something about him in the BMW club magazine (I was given it Steve, honest I haven't joined). Definitely a good find for those local to him
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Herb

Postby Herb » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:17 am

I've made a note of this. Not a million miles from me.

I generally do most of my own work myself and can deal with most things, but for the things I can't or won't do, I would prefer to use an independent rather than pay dealer rates. I have used Motoscot down in Dunstable in the past, but that's a bit far for me, but he was good.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

slparry

Postby slparry » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:23 pm

dave the german wrote:I think I read something about him in the BMW club magazine (I was given it Steve, honest I haven't joined). Definitely a good find for those local to him

<fx>makes note to watch Dave in future</fx> :D
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Return to “Boxertech”