Winter project

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

RSBowling

Winter project

Postby RSBowling » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:01 am

Hi,
I bought my 11s in April last year, which on test ride developed a creak from the rear end. Reluctantly I walked away, to give myself some time to research on what could be wrong. That is how I found this amazing forum, full of knowledge and kind, helpful people. The creak turned out to be rear paralever pivot bearings warn out.
Since then I have been working my way through my jobs list! Prioritising mechanical issues/maintenance first. These included full oil and filters change, Rhs cam chain tensioner mod, valve clearances check and adjust, front wheel bearings.
Change of tyres (metzler z8 interact), danmoto decat, and a second hand Hagon shock, and I was ready for a great year of riding, around the great (but shit surface!) roads of North Yorkshire, with a trip to Cadwell park!
Love the bike, for the real roads of England, I feel the 11s is a match for any bike of today (my opinion, based on experience of riding amongst and chatting to other bikers) So I decided this one is for the long haul, and committed to getting it 'just right'
So after searching the forum, and my own experiences, my winter jobs were - engine repainted, forks and yoke repaint, blue peter air filter mod, ecu chip, rear subframe repaint, fixing and fasteners check and stainless fixings where possible, and suspension upgrade (shock factory by Mike capon)
My tips from doing this jobs list, are to invest in a bike lift (pictured), keep things clean whilst painting, and be patient.
The engine paint was the biggest job, but one of the most satisfying. I sanded, stripped and wire wheeled all the crap off, cleaned with thinners, etch primer (3coats) then Hammerite smooth (5coats) leaving 24 hours between coats, and using heat gun whilst painting.
I have posted previously my experiences on some of these jobs, but if anyone would like to know more please just ask. Few jobs left to do, spark plugs, throttle body balancing and oils. Ordered a kit off eBay to do throttle bodies, I'll post my thoughts once done. And of course I've got the test rides to report on!
Thank you to everyone who has offered advice, or previous posts have helped me along the way.

Cheers,
Rich
Last edited by RSBowling on Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

RSBowling

Re: Winter project

Postby RSBowling » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:04 am

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (118.14 KiB) Viewed 8985 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (166.7 KiB) Viewed 8985 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (105.47 KiB) Viewed 8985 times

RSBowling

Postby RSBowling » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:06 am

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (127.58 KiB) Viewed 8985 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (77.93 KiB) Viewed 8985 times

RSBowling

Postby RSBowling » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:07 am

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (183.09 KiB) Viewed 8984 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (145.46 KiB) Viewed 8984 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (140.75 KiB) Viewed 8984 times

Herb

Postby Herb » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:09 am

Looks like you've done a good job on the paint. All very satisfying, I give those shiny pipes 30 miles though!
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

RSBowling

Postby RSBowling » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:16 am

Cheers mate, I know there a bugger too keep right, but after reading on here, I use acid based alloy wheel cleaner. I soak kitchen towel with it and wrap them around, remove then autosol!
But your right, they will go brown on the first ride!
Whilst on the subject, does anyone know of a product which delays this tarnishing? Or is good old autosol still the thing to use?
Cheers,
Rich

Boxadog 2000

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:32 am

RSBowling wrote:Cheers mate, I know there a bugger too keep right, but after reading on here, I use acid based alloy wheel cleaner. I soak kitchen towel with it and wrap them around, remove then autosol!
But your right, they will go brown on the first ride!
Whilst on the subject, does anyone know of a product which delays this tarnishing? Or is good old autosol still the thing to use?
Cheers,
Rich

Yes Autosol and use a length of crepe bandage as the rag

fontana

Postby fontana » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:54 pm

RSBowling wrote:But your right, they will go brown on the first ride!

The headers on a Guzzi I once owned stayed bright and shiny for ages after a good polish.
I only had to do them again very lightly every few hundred miles.
Same goes for my Yamaha GTS.
However after I had a good go on my BMW one's, they went to back the way they were after just one ride.
I guess there's stainless, and there's stainless.

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:37 pm

Really good job on the engine - I might be in touch for tips as my BCR needs doing
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

RSBowling

Postby RSBowling » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:15 pm

Cheers guys, yeah I guess, will just keep at it every now and again. Please get in touch if you need any advice Dave, more than happy to help/ show you.
Thanks,
Rich

KTM AL

Postby KTM AL » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:58 pm

You done a nice job there, bike looks better than new.

stevesilver

Postby stevesilver » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:50 pm

Wow, top job on the engine and headers, should have done mine over the winter but to sodding cold in the garage, and have now moved to house with no garage.
keep bike at work now, 200 yard walk away, but still too cold to be in there working...

Looks like new, am well impressed... Wanna do mine? :bounce:

RSBowling

Postby RSBowling » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:39 pm

Thanks Al & Steve, nice of you too say! Was going to fit a belly pan but I liked the engine paint. Yeah I could do yours Steve, but it wouldn't be cost efficient! :D
I find the paint fumes and thinners help the bitter cold disappear somewhat!
Cheers,
Rich

RSBowling

Postby RSBowling » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:43 pm

Forgot to mention another job I did. I added some aluminium mesh to the front grill (which I changed from mandarin to black) and the holes in the rear fairings.
I used some from b&q. Was under a tenner and I have enough left to do another one!
Appreciate its not a BMW look, but is a bit of tinsel to liven it up/fill a gap.
Cheers,
Rich

Beamerboy

Postby Beamerboy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:29 pm

Excellent job done there Rich, looks great.
I`ve just started doing the pipes on my Randy Mamola BCR using Autosol, patience and a lot of elbow grease involved.
They are starting to look better.
Back to it in a week or so as we are having a new bathroom fitted at the moment.
Rob :)

Return to “Boxertech”