Winter project

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Boxermed69

Re: Winter project

Postby Boxermed69 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:41 pm

Very nice work Rich. The front of your engine looks as good as new. Also like the contrasting centre fairing piece - really suits the bike :thumbleft:

Mike
Horizontally opposed, vertically challenged...

RSBowling

Postby RSBowling » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:51 am

Thanks for the kind comments guys, much appreciated. Maybe try the wheel cleaner trick I mentioned, gets it to the stage where you only need autosol then.
Thanks glad you said about the front fairing, was forever looking at it thinking, 'this should be black' pleased with it, I think it lifts it a bit.
Cheers,
Rich

Herb

Postby Herb » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:28 am

Just needs black wheels to finish it off!
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

slparry

Postby slparry » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:08 am

RSBowling wrote:Thanks for the kind comments guys, much appreciated. Maybe try the wheel cleaner trick I mentioned, gets it to the stage where you only need autosol then.
Thanks glad you said about the front fairing, was forever looking at it thinking, 'this should be black' pleased with it, I think it lifts it a bit.
Cheers,
Rich

If you do use wheel cleaner and cloth strips, which works a treat, keep it away from the studs as it'll accelerate corrosion on the studs
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:07 pm

Rich I've got a Twinmax to balance throttle bodies if you need it also the cut away socket to do swingarm bearings
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

RSBowling

Postby RSBowling » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:29 pm

Hi,
Not too keen on black wheels to be honest, but I'm yet too see one done with a mandarin. Yes I'll keep well away Steve! After the effort gone into careful removal, I'll treat them with upmost caution. Have copper slipped the threads etc, and I plan to remove them a couple of times a year.
Thanks Dave, very kind of you to offer. I'll see how I get on with the cheap kit I bought off eBay first. Reason for checking them is that towards the end of last year I felt a tad more vibration at higher revs, and seeing as thought I've done my other mods, be daft not to get the sync spot on.
I've got a few more jobs if like to do, but not necessarily before the season starts, will put them out there Incase anyone has any advice, or even the better, the parts I would like! As follows-
Laser end cans
Make seat more comfortable
Lennies induct
Adjustable torque arm (more for looks as I like the geometry I have now, uber stable!)
Braided brake lines (quiet happy with standard to be honest)

Cheers,
Rich

RSBowling

Postby RSBowling » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:40 pm

Update,
Saw a carbon 3 piece belly pan on eBay, and decided to buy it (already bought and sold on a ricambi Weiss one!)
But I thought this one would look less 'gopping' and do a great job of protecting my engine paint.
Looks really good, albeit pricey.
Also been talking to the guys at saddle craft South Shields, about gel padding my seat. Would cost £115 for gel pad using original vinyl, and £165 for gel and new vinyl. Going to see if they have a grip pier vinyl as I find the original a bit slippy. And any riding slow or amongst traffic it feels like I'm sitting on a church pew!
Cheers,
Rich
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (156.31 KiB) Viewed 5087 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (166.59 KiB) Viewed 5087 times

ianbcr

Postby ianbcr » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:26 pm

Nice job you've done there Rich, About protecting your engine paint have you thought of a fender extender or a carbon engine cover.
Your born with a certain amout of heart beats, Dont waste them on exersise. [smilie=rooster.gif]

04 boxer cup rep. Gone but not forgoten
99 tlr1000 (V twin) tricked.
Indian Roadmaster Elite
Mercedes EQC 400

fontana

Postby fontana » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:55 pm

Not that it's going to be compatible with a belly pan, but I think these are great.
Not the prettiest accessory, but very effective.

http://www.cymarcbikeparts.co.uk/bmw-r1 ... r-53-p.asp

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:13 am

I've found the pipes stay clean for some time - far longer than the 12s anyway - just started it up and they started to turn brown!!

I digress - for any metal polishing equipment try "The Polishing Shop" they're really helpful and give advice freely - the polishing kits cost tho
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

RSBowling

Postby RSBowling » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:27 am

Hi guys,
Ian, It's not very clear on the photos but I have already fitted a fender extender, but I'm curious about a carbon engine cover, never seen one!
Yes Fontana, that would protect the engine well, especially if a grenade is rolled in front of you! Good cost effective way though, painted up and maybe a decal would look ok.
Well funny you should recommend them Dave, I actually used their kit to do mine whilst off the bike, knowledgeable and very helpful people.
Have you, or do you know anyone who has used saddle craft Dave?
Cheers,
Rich

RSBowling

Postby RSBowling » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:31 am

Does anyone know if they did a carbon head cover for these single sparks? If so where to get them?
Thanks,
Rich

McBoxer

Postby McBoxer » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:20 pm

RSBowling wrote:Does anyone know if they did a carbon head cover for these single sparks? If so where to get them?
Thanks,
Rich

Yep, the Mamola rep had them as standard, but they're like rocking horse poo on the used market and cost the same as the moon.
On a stick.
Copy parts are also difficult to come by these days as most suppliers have stopped making them. I spent ages looking for some when I had mine, but I gave up in the end!
Big Scottish Al

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:07 pm

[Have you, or do you know anyone who has used saddle craft Dave?
Cheers,
Rich[/quote]

Never used them or know anyone who has. The filling station at Plawsworth has an upholsterer in the building to the left of the pumps - Seems to have a good reputation
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:07 pm

Used CBTS in Newark Notts for my covers, choice of materials and colours £80 for both seats with new softer foam.
IMG_2821.JPG
IMG_2821.JPG (97.45 KiB) Viewed 5044 times
10 KTM RC8

Return to “Boxertech”