Has Lithium Ion's day arrived ?

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

kfrogzx7

Has Lithium Ion's day arrived ?

Postby kfrogzx7 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:34 pm

I know it's been discussed before on this and many other forums but Lithium Ion batteries have been about for several years now, and I wondered how much of the initial scepticism has been eroded away ?

Mainstream supplier like Motorworks now sell them and I haven't heard of any major issues with them in the bike press, so has anyone made the leap of faith yet ?

I'm going to need a new battery for my ST before too much longer and am tempted to give them a try.
Simon.
K100rs, R1100s, R1150rs, R1200st, K1300s

milleplod

Re: Has Lithium Ion's day arrived ?

Postby milleplod » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:05 pm

I'm not sure that there's thatmuch of an advantage really. I've never had much of an issue with £35/£50 lead-acid ones. There's some interesting reading here, the thread runs from 2012 to a couple of weeks ago -

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/motorcycle-batteries-agm-gel-wet-lithium-iron-phosphate-lifepo4.757934/

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Mitch1100

Postby Mitch1100 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:35 pm

I have a Shorai Li battery in my BCR and previous R1100s with nil issues. In winter turn on ignition and wait 30 sec or so (put helmet, gloves on) then hit starter.
2009 HP2 Sport...sold
2006 R1200s with yellow rim tape
2008 Ducati Monster S4RS Tricolore..sold
2004 R1100s BoxerCup Replika..sold
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318/600

Wingman

Postby Wingman » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:26 pm

I have a JMP Lithium battery fitted to my Hp2 sport it turns the engine over far better than the standard battery that BMW fit. The cold cranking is far better with the Lithium battery and it weighs only 0.9 Kg against the OE 3.7 Kg and has a indicator showing the state of charge on top of the battery.

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:43 pm

Call me a cynic, and this isn't in any way criticism of anyone's personal choice, but......

I can see the point, perhaps, of saving 3kg on a race bike, but on a road bike, or even a track day bike, it seems pointless, because you'd never notice. And is faster cranking necessarily better in any way than slower cranking? Surely the true measure of a battery is simply 'does it start the engine efficiently?' :? None of my previous lead-acid batteries have ever failed to start whatever bike I've had....they've all started the bike on the 1st press of the button.....and they've all lasted 4 years or more. My current Motobatt does crank the engine a bit quicker, and it has a higher Ah rating than the previous Exide....I've left it off the CTEK charger for 3 months....no loss of ooomph at all.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I think the only thing that might persuade me that I should 'go lithium' is if the manufacturers were to offer a 10-year guarantee! I know prices have come down - in fact, a JMP for my ST is the same price as the Motobatt one was - but I can't see enough of an advantage over an AGM one.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Wingman

Postby Wingman » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:10 pm

It is personal choice and I know that the standard battery fitted to Hp2 sport struggles to turn the engine over. When the second standard battery failed I decided to try a lithium battery having talked to Nigel from sandbar composites as he has one fitted to his bike.
i cannot fault the battery fitted to my bike it turns the engine over so much easier, even whilst in Spain with temp over 40 degrees it still started the engine easier than the standard Gel battery.

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:20 pm

Yep, I get that....its definitely a concern when the cranking sounds sloooow....that 'will it, won't it' feeling is bloody horrible, especially if you're a long way from home! :shock: Tbh though, all the twins I've had have sounded slow, and they've all had me wondering.... :lol:

What do you use to charge it? I know my CTEK won't work with one, did you have to buy a lithium-specific one?

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

kfrogzx7

Postby kfrogzx7 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:00 pm

milleplod wrote:Call me a cynic, and this isn't in any way criticism of anyone's personal choice, but......

I can see the point, perhaps, of saving 3kg on a race bike, but on a road bike, or even a track day bike, it seems pointless, because you'd never notice.

Pete

Actually, Pete, it would be the weight saving that would swing it for me if I'm reassured that they are a viable long term reliable and safe option.
I find all these boxers pretty hefty bikes and I'm firmly of the opinion that losing weight is probably the most sensible and cost effective "tuning" mod you can do. For me nearly 3 kg off the battery and another 3 kg at least off the exhaust is already a worthwhile improvement, don't forget that those 6 kg are being hauled around with you ALL the time and are burning petrol to boot.

I appreciate that you may not actually notice the difference with the seat of your pants but I like to know that I'm doing things the most efficient way, that gives me a bit of satisfaction.
Simon.

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:17 pm

3kg also = 1 steak and kidney and 2 minced beef and onion, all with puff pastry :wink:
10 KTM RC8

kfrogzx7

Postby kfrogzx7 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:08 pm

Humbug wrote:3kg also = 1 steak and kidney and 2 minced beef and onion, all with puff pastry :wink:

They are big pies, I'd need at least a couple of pints as well to wash them down !!
Simon.

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:15 pm

Well, my resolve to resist change didn't take long to evaporate! :shock: I had a quick trawl of fleabay to check prices and picked up a new JMT for £30 from a guy who bought it a couple of weeks ago but then swapped his bike before using it. At that money, I'll give it a go....and, of course, I can now eat a pie or two more! :lol: Weakness all round methinks. :D

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

slparry

Postby slparry » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:14 pm

milleplod wrote:Well, my resolve to resist change didn't take long to evaporate! :shock: I had a quick trawl of fleabay to check prices and picked up a new JMT for £30 from a guy who bought it a couple of weeks ago but then swapped his bike before using it. At that money, I'll give it a go....and, of course, I can now eat a pie or two more! :lol: Weakness all round methinks. :D

Pete

I knew I liked you :D ....
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:27 am

High energy content, compact size, light weight.....lithium batteries and pies are remarkably similar! :lol:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

SP250

Postby SP250 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:48 pm

Except that Mr Parry advises eating more pies to fix suspension set up concerns.
I don't think that eating more Li-Ion batteries would do your suspension any good what so ever, never mind the acid reflux!
So no, not the same. :D
John M

kfrogzx7

Postby kfrogzx7 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:02 pm

My JMP battery arrived today, F*** Me ... it weighs next to nothing !!

Even less than I expected .... can hardly believe it'll turn her over once let alone twice !!
Simon.

Return to “Boxertech”