Battery Charger

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

RSBowling

Battery Charger

Postby RSBowling » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:02 am

Hi guys,
My oximiser has give up the ghost this weekend. Looking to replace, was wondering what everyone uses, or recommends? Budget of £50.
Any help appreciated
Cheers,
Rich

milleplod

Re: Battery Charger

Postby milleplod » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:19 am

The CTEK Multi MXS 3.8 will do most things, including charging larger batteries - item no. 141413676882 on eBay, just under £50 delivered. Very high quality bit of kit. There are slightly cheaper versions, but they're only really good for small batteries - if that's all you need, then the XS 0.8, item no. 320719346227, is only £37. If you think you might swap to a lithium battery at any point, you might have to get a new charger to go with it, so Noco Genius chargers are good as they will charge both lead and lithium, and both large and small ones! Item no. 272393252866, £43. Oh, and its canbus-friendly too, so presumably you can charge via the 12v socket if you have one. That's the one I'm going for! :)

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

RSBowling

Postby RSBowling » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:29 am

Hi Pete,
Cheers mate, that's very helpful! Looks like you have been researching. I'll give those a search later.
Thanks again,
Rich

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:57 am

They're in my 'watch list' from last week when I'd just bought the lithium battery. :) You can probably save a few quid shopping around, Amazon prices are sometimes cheaper. Good hunting! :)

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

fontana

Postby fontana » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:14 am

RSBowling wrote:Hi guys,
My oximiser has give up the ghost this weekend. Looking to replace, was wondering what everyone uses

A good ride now and then does the trick
:lol:

RSBowling

Postby RSBowling » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:22 pm

Hi Fontana,
Yes that's the best way, however finding the time is another matter! Refuse to use my bike whilst the salt is down also, afraid I'm a early Sunday morning rider, when the sun rises early and it's not fucking freezing!
Maybe global warming will perk things up a bit!
Cheers mate,
Rich

fontana

Postby fontana » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:32 pm

RSBowling wrote:Hi Fontana,
Yes that's the best way, however finding the time is another matter! Refuse to use my bike whilst the salt is down also, afraid I'm a early Sunday morning rider, when the sun rises early and it's not fucking freezing!
Maybe global warming will perk things up a bit!
Cheers mate,
Rich

I agree, and it's sad really that we have to put our bikes away this time of year for fear of them dissolving into a pile of oxidised scrap.
Can you imagine this being tolerated in the car world.

RSBowling

Postby RSBowling » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:07 am

I know mate, you would have to smear the bike with that grease from marine suppliers, but I suspect that wouldn't protect everything!
Had a look at those chargers, agreed the moto novo one looks spot on. Had a look at the accessory point on my bike where I believe the can bus plugs into, looks a bit cruddy on the inside. Are these simple to change? Just thinking where the wire from it goes. Wonder how much they are too?
Cheers,
Rich

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:27 am

You're probably better using the lead that'll come with the charger to permanently connect to the battery terminals rather than bothering with the socket - its an oddball (DIN) spec one. I'm not really up on Canbus systems, but I think owners have had issues where aftermarket chargers will work through the accessory socket initially, but then the Canbus shuts it down, so the battery's not being charged. BMW's own...ridiculously expensive....charger prevents that happening.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:41 am

There's a version of the optimate which is CANBUS compatible. I have one plugged into my RS through the accessory socket with no issues.
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

RSBowling

Postby RSBowling » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:00 pm

Thanks guys,
Yeah I have a fixed lead atm, and that works just fine.
But if the canbus thing works then bonus!
Cheers,
Rich

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:18 pm

Paul wrote:There's a version of the optimate which is CANBUS compatible. I have one plugged into my RS through the accessory socket with no issues.

Same here Paul although it was quite expensive and then they changed the connectors so had to buy a new plug. Wasn't sure at first about joining crocodile clips then switching it on to change it from "normal" charging to canbus compatible tho :shock:
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

kfrogzx7

Postby kfrogzx7 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:59 pm

dave the german wrote:
Paul wrote:There's a version of the optimate which is CANBUS compatible. I have one plugged into my RS through the accessory socket with no issues.

Same here Paul although it was quite expensive and then they changed the connectors so had to buy a new plug. Wasn't sure at first about joining crocodile clips then switching it on to change it from "normal" charging to canbus compatible tho :shock:

+1
Simon.
K100rs, R1100s, R1150rs, R1200st, K1300s

RSBowling

Postby RSBowling » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:31 pm

Update,
Plumped for the noco genius 1100 as suggested by Pete. Did my own research and found it to be a great spec and value.
Got the leads fitted to the battery and the connected sits nicely under the seat.
Is a nice quality product, and easy to use.
Initial feedback is positive, and if I ever change to a lithium battery, this will do!
Hope this helps someone,
Cheers,
Rich
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (115.78 KiB) Viewed 5330 times

Return to “Boxertech”