Additional lights linked into canbus

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Taz

Additional lights linked into canbus

Postby Taz » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:48 pm

Has anyone with a bike that has a canbus system fitted any additional riding lights? If so which did you choose and was the linking into the canbus easy? I am thinking of fitting some additional day time riding lights to my RT but can't decide between a cheap pair of wunderlich (sub £100 http://www.nippynormans.com/spotlight-sets-and-brackets/wunderlich-p-markers-pair-r1200gs-lc) or up to mega expensive Darla lights (£500+ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7INoSWnibA)
Taz

R1250RS

So when is this 'Old enough to know better' supposed to kick in?

dark_knight87

Re: Additional lights linked into canbus

Postby dark_knight87 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:29 pm

Have a look at this: -

https://youtu.be/2uIgB0kqyPM

Regards,
Russ
It started badly, it tailed off a little in the middle and the less said about the end the better, but apart from that it was excellent.

Taz

Postby Taz » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:56 pm

Very useful, thank you
Taz

R1250RS

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:50 am

The CANBus just controls the switching of the various functions. An alternative option is to have a similar system as in the hexhead GS/GSA. The lights are powered by a separate loom and is switched via a separate switch on the handlebar. To activate the circuit have a relay installed and power the lights from the battery (7.5 amp fuse?) with the dip beam (or parking) light as the trigger for the relay. In short, ignition switch to on (means dip beam light is live and so is the trigger wire), battery power to driving lights but switch not made. Press on button on handle bar switch and the trigger wire activates the relay to complete the circuit from the battery to the driving lights.

Have fun.

PS. I like the look and discreet nature of the Wunderlich lights but the Darla lights gets a full 5 star rating by those who uses it.
'Let me check my concernometer.'

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:13 am

My own experience with CANBUS was on an R1200ST.
I tried higher wattage headlamp bulbs and the Canbus system refused to light them both as they were drawing more current so it assumed a fault - as soon as I put the standard bulbs back in they worked - this led me to NOT take the power for some LED riding lamps from the Sidelight feed. I wired direct from the battery via a switch and relay t was simpler and worked.
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:19 am

dark_knight87 wrote:Have a look at this: -

https://youtu.be/2uIgB0kqyPM

Regards,
Russ

Really good but £250????? Like I said wire direct to the battery via a relay you can buy kit in Halfrauds for way less than £250
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

Taz

Postby Taz » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:43 pm

I've taken the plunge and bought a set of Clearwater Darla lights from the USA, complete with the brackets and their 'can opener' which is the wiring loom that links into the canbus. Ordered today and due for delivery on Friday.

I will let you know how I get on.
Taz

R1250RS

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:01 pm

Taz. On ADVrider there is a good thread about the can opener. Have a look in the GS section.
'Let me check my concernometer.'

Taz

Postby Taz » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:00 pm

Buy these lights with caution - I've just had DHL on the 'phone saying that unless I pay £107 in VAT and duty they cannot release the lights to me. A conversation with HMRC reveals that the greedy swine in Whitehall can indeed sting you for import duty and VAT on goods bought outside the EU even though you may well have paid duty and tax in the country of sale.

Absolute rip off - am I annoyed - you're damn right I am.
Taz

R1250RS

Taz

Postby Taz » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:06 pm

I've calmed down now and realise that I should have checked up on the importation of goods from outside the EU.

Anyway, the lights are fitted and working - it's like riding in daylight.

Are they worth the money? I struggle to say yes but what price do you put on your own safety?
Taz

R1250RS

Return to “Boxertech”