Tyre Balancing?

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

JamesL

Tyre Balancing?

Postby JamesL » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:09 am

It seems that Robsom Racing / Bike Tyre Shack at Shipston on Stour has closed up, so I'm hunting for a replacement tyre supplier.

It seems easy enough to find a supplier / fitter of bike tyres, but only a few will balance them on the basis that the kit is expensive and it's not really necessary. So how important is balancing these days? I've always had my tyres balanced, but am I hopelessly out of date? Thanks, J.

Herb

Re: Tyre Balancing?

Postby Herb » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:28 am

I use TW tyres in Rugby. Not a million miles from where you are prices are good and they can balance rear wheels for bikes with single side swing arms as well, not everyone can.

Modern tyres are better than they used to be with regard balance, and if fitted properly with the balance marks correctly aligned you might not notice if they haven't been balanced, but I personally noticed the difference, especially on the rear of my 12s.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:24 am

My local fitter (Maldon Essex) does balance using a spindle (not the high speed jobby used for cars) and I usually end up with some weights stuck to the rim.So I guess that it makes a difference.

Not sure how my mate gets on as he has a Goldwing which he has done just over 90K on and he fits a car tyre to the rear (apparently it known as going over to the Dark Side in Goldwing circles) - God knows if he can get that balanced but as he'd suffered several rear blow outs on standard rear tyres it seems like it's been a good move and he says it also still rides well.
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

JamesL

Postby JamesL » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:31 pm

Thanks both, looks like it's TW then - I'll get in touch. J

Return to “Boxertech”