Help to ID the Hall Sensor output wire on my R1100S

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

masha

Help to ID the Hall Sensor output wire on my R1100S

Postby masha » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:24 am

Hi - I am not going to resurrect the original "Fitting Acumen shift light to R1100S - help with" thread years on as it dragged on for ages.

However - I am refitting one of these shift lights and I have made all the conenctions and am just now looking to fit the "brown- tacho" wire and previous juggling people found that out of suggested crankshaft/hall trigger/coil connections for this - the HALL SENSOR OUTPUT WIRE proved the only reliable option. I attach an image of what I am not sure is the black cable in the small loom near the under-tank ECU - but any pointers appreciated.
hallsensoroutput.jpg
hallsensoroutput.jpg (81.77 KiB) Viewed 3404 times
Matt Masha
'04 R1100S BoxerCup (and other bikes by Honda, Ducati and KTM)

tanneman

Re: Help to ID the Hall Sensor output wire on my R1100S

Postby tanneman » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:29 pm

If nobody has replied by tomorrow I'll have a look at the manual. On night shift at the moment so no help.
'Let me check my concernometer.'

masha

Re: Help to ID the Hall Sensor output wire on my R1100S

Postby masha » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:19 am

Appreciate it, but I believe I have the answer from R550s(Chris ) in the following from the original thread about fitting an "Acumen gear indicator:

"...I think the Hall sensor connector is the rectangular one about four inches south of your thumb in the above photo - with two cable ties around it. I could be wrong, it's a while since I've been under there and I'm all confused with the K-bike I'm currently messing with."
and
"There are two Hall sensors, mounted on a single backplate as one Hall sensor 'unit'. Each one feeds a signal to the Motronic, and either will do for the Acumen. The Hall sensor unit is located at the front of the engine (sorry if you know this) behind the black plastic cover. The cable from it runs up over the top of the engine to a 5 pin plug connector, which then continues in a cable which joins the big plug into the Motronic control unit.
The cable is actually 4-core, plus an earth screen. The 5 pin plug for the Hall sensor unit is as follows: Pin 1 - earth screen / Pin 2 black SIGNAL WIRE (goes to pin 30 on the big Motronic plug / Pin 3 - brown 0 volts / Pin 4 red 12 volt supply from Motronic to the Hall sensors / Pin 5 orange SIGNAL WIRE (goes to Pin 31 on the big Motronic plug).
You can tap into either of the two signal wires. I did it inside the big Motronic plug - just look for a black wire on pin 30, next to an orange wire on pin 31. The pin numbers are moulded into the plug. They are tiny, but they are there.
It's an old thread this. I sacked my Acumen (DGV digital gear/voltage indicator) after it turned out to be the culprit in destroying four batteries. Turns out the Acumen was badly designed and used way too much current to store its memory when the bike was switched off. A technical chap at Acumen admitted this to me - I was really pissed off about my long-running mystery battery problem - having to bump start the bike after being parked for a few days.
I ended up building a digital gear indicator using instructions from some genius who installed it in place of the neutral light - it works great."
Matt Masha
'04 R1100S BoxerCup (and other bikes by Honda, Ducati and KTM)

Return to “Boxertech”