Brake Bleeding problem

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

KeithW

Brake Bleeding problem

Postby KeithW » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:06 pm

Hi All,

Brake lines installed and now having problems bleeding, we have a 2003 R1100s with a servo ABS system, we are getting fluid to the ABS unit but not down to the callipers. After calling BMW they have advised that this can only be done using the diagnostic tool which I have also discovered this in my manual.
Has anyone got round this problem without taking it to BMW???
Cheers

kfrogzx7

Re: Brake Bleeding problem

Postby kfrogzx7 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:54 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLM25NYvlas&t=417s

Hello Keith,

You need to study this video and others like it on Youtube, it tells you pretty much all you need to know.

If you bleed all four circuits meticulously ( and have a bit of luck on your side ) there's really no need for the Diagnostic tool. Others on here will know more about the diagnostics but I think all it does in the case of brake bleeding is confirm for your peace of mind that you've got all the air out.
Admittedly this is important with these ABS units because they are a little fragile and don't take kindly to air or, heaven forbid, moisture contaminated fluid in the system.

Good Luck,
Simon
Simon.
K100rs, R1100s, R1150rs, R1200st, K1300s

Taz

Re: Brake Bleeding problem

Postby Taz » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:26 am

Don't know if it helps but when I fitted new brake lines to my non-abs BCR initially I could not get the fluid to pump through to the callipers. I found that by manually pushing the pistons as far back into the callipers each time I pumped the brakes seemed to help clear the air out of the lines.
Taz

R1250RS

So when is this 'Old enough to know better' supposed to kick in?

Return to “Boxertech”