Starter motor leads.

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

milleplod

Starter motor leads.

Postby milleplod » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:35 am

As part of my never-ending programme of doing stuff to my ST that doesn't necessarily need doing but which keeps me busy, I'm thinking of refurbing my starter motor - more specifically, getting someone who knows how to refurb one to do it for me! Whilst Googling and looking at various 'how to' videos, I came across a cable/lead upgrade kit available from Motorworks -

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=6&Q=ELA90004&x=17&y=19

The kit (imported from America I think) is priced at a rather startling £62, which seems rather a lot for what is basically 2 lengths of cable and a few peripheral bits and bobs. The manufacturer's blurb is here -

http://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/TheShed/PDF/hicap.pdf

Now, looking on eBay and the like, 2 lengths of made-to-measure, decent quality cable, with the correct terminals fitted, would appear to be about £12's worth tops. Am I missing something?! Is the cable in the kit some wondrous and magical stuff, so explaining the price? Or will locally-sourced ones do the same job?..... should I be looking for a specific type of replacement cable?

Pete....ever confused by electricity! :smile:
Nocto Diuque Venamur

slparry

Re: Starter motor leads.

Postby slparry » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:45 am

I may be wrong Pete, but my understanding of the HiCap starter cable upgrades is that primarily it's the old airheads that benefit from the kits. The later bikes were ok in that department except for the 4 cylinder K1x00 S/R& GT's which got a recall update from BMW to resolve starting issues.
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

milleplod

Re: Starter motor leads.

Postby milleplod » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:54 am

Morning Steve.

Thanks for the reply. I was reading over on UKGSer that some owners of later bikes have noticed a marked improvement after fitting the new leads - I thought if I was going to get the starter moter refurbed, I could swap the leads anyway....but only if its a few quid, there's no way I'd spend £60 on doing it! Despite trying a new battery, and a lithium battery, my ST still seems to be a bit on the slow side when turning over - it always starts, touch wood, but I thought it might be a good idea from a preventative viewpoint to have the starter looked at.

I'm going to try jump leads from the car I think, just to see if it turns over any quicker.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Return to “Boxertech”