Time for a Battery (again) R1100S

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

masha

Time for a Battery (again) R1100S

Postby masha » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:49 pm

My batteries don't appear to last very long in my boxers (In reality I suppose I get 2-3 years reliably out of 'em) - I've tried all sorts over the years: OEM BMW, Varta, green Lucas golf trolley cell, etc etc.

As both my batteries have not really survived the winter months this year (abismal at holding any sort of charge now, even after Optimating for a week; it would appear its time to buy new.)

Also, as I have a few accessories on one of my boxers I use for touring (such as aftermarket heated grips, satnav, acumen gear indicator, audicator, datatool etc.) I am also keen to fit a good quality battery isolator again (I did away with this after a cheap Lucas copy switch failed on me when I least needed it to on a ride), and would be interested to hear what people have used with good effect (somthing simple like the Discarnect battery immobilised would be good, but as we all know - its not exactly quick or easy to get the the terminals on the top of the battery to screw the top down.

So my question is: what is the best battery these days in peoples' experience for the R1100S - somthing that can go the distance and be effective and reliable for at least 2-3 years.

Thanks
Matt Masha
'04 R1100S BoxerCup (and other bikes by Honda, Ducati and KTM)

Mitch1100

Re: Time for a Battery (again) R1100S

Postby Mitch1100 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:57 pm

Odyssey pc545 replaced after 7 years or Shorai lithium :wink:
2009 HP2 Sport...sold
2006 R1200s with yellow rim tape
2008 Ducati Monster S4RS Tricolore..sold
2004 R1100s BoxerCup Replika..sold
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318/600

masha

Postby masha » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:30 pm

Thanks re. the Odyssey they are good - I have one in my BDR Ford Caterham - and its been pretty good to.
Thanks for the model no. I will investigate suppliers and prices.
It makes sense to try and Odyssey next as I've not fitted one to the R1100S in the past yet.
Matt Masha

RolandS888

Postby RolandS888 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:31 am

Odyssey PC680 in mine hasnt missed a beat

Herb

Postby Herb » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:42 am

The battery in my 1200s failed after 3 months of buying the bike, replaced with a new BMW (Exide branded??) battery, which last 1 year, which I replaced with a lucas, which lasted 1 year. The lucas failed on a ride, fortunately half a mile from a motorbike shop. They sold me a no-brand Chinese battery, which I thought might last until I got home. Its been faultless for 6 years!

I always keep my bike on the BMW charger whenever it is parked up.

No point to this post with relation to the OP. Just thought I would share.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

masha

Postby masha » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:40 am

no, that's good to know - and in line with some of my experiences - I would assume all 1100's sap power when parked up - as non of my cells have ever lasted more than about 18months but your Chinese battery suggest otherwise. Yes I'd love to try Lithium but as its expensive and not tried and tested (by me yet), and requires a special charger, I will buy and Odyssey

The only thing I have to get my head around today is which model fits best, and where to get one at the best price delivered to me this week.
Thanks for your input including our buddies in Oz responding.
Matt Masha

masha

Postby masha » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:40 am

oo, and my Alternator to test next - make sure the bike is still charging a new battery.
Matt Masha

masha

Postby masha » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:49 am

So I have a choice of Odyssey 545 or 680 - there's not a lot of difference in price, but quite a difference in capacity and size. If I could get a deal on one of each I'd fit the 545 to my 'cafe racer' stripped down BCR and the 680 to my kitted up touring R1100 and see how each fair over time.

I take it both fit okay in the usualy place on a 2004/5 R1100S BCR - what about battery isolators - what inline types work well - I'm looking at marine units at the moment which are suitable for hiding away somewhere near the rear shock to shut everything down for extended periods - with just and Optimate lead fitted direct to the cell to keep it conditioned, in the bike, but disconnected if you see what I mean.
Matt Masha

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:37 am

I've had a OEM battery on my BCR, which replaced the original OEM - it's been on the bike about 6 years now and no bother (hope that's not the kiss of death!!). Usually on an Optimate over winter but juggling bikes around for cleaning etc over winter it hasn't always been connected but it still turns over well and starts ok
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Al

Postby Al » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:01 pm

If I am correct the larger battery won't fit if you have abs, heated grips,etc.

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

RolandS888

Postby RolandS888 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:47 pm

Al wrote:If I am correct the larger battery won't fit if you have abs, heated grips,etc.

Al.

No , not true, Ive got all that and have the PC680, fits perfectly.
It doesnt deplete when I dont use the bike, sounds strange that others do, perhaps you have some load connected.
I also have a K1200GT with a generic battery and the GPS is connected all the time, that battery needs to be on a tender when the bike is not being used, if its not, after 4 weeks it only just starts the bike.
Probably time for another Odyssey for that one as well.

SP250

Postby SP250 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:55 pm

Had one battery split and the wiring loom replaced under warranty, obviously with a new battery as well.
Only replaced that one last year, so it did 11 years without being hooked up to an optimate.
That was just a standard Exide and the replacement is a Motorbatt AGM from Tayna in N Wales.
John M

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:19 pm

I had an Aprilia Falco for nearly ten years, and it used to eat batteries. Some were lasting less than a year, even though I kept them topped up with an Optimate. Most people I asked about it said the alarm was killing the batteries. From new, it seemed only a matter of weeks before I'd get the first failed charge with the Optimate - the 'bad' light on. Unplug the charger, plug it in again and second or third time, I'd get the green light, and off we'd go.

But the Aprilia forum were not reporting the same issues. One guy said his battery was over seven years old and still fine. But then someone suggested changing the fly lead (the one permanently connected to the battery that the Optimate plugs into). He said that he'd had a faulty lead that was killing batteries. So I got a new fly lead and battery, and the battery was still good two and a half years later when I sold the Falco. No more failed top-ups.

Swapped the Falco for the R12S five years ago, and only changed the BMW battery a couple of months ago. I believe it was 10 years old. So I don't believe the Falco was at fault, and the BMW certainly wasn't hard on its original battery. Maybe there is some other factor that's killing the short-lived batteries.

Just a thought.

Return to “Boxertech”