10 to 20% Power increase!

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

feralworks

Re: 10 to 20% Power increase!

Postby feralworks » Sat May 27, 2017 11:19 am

bfisher wrote:Quick update... queried Steve where he was at in terms of ones for single spark, just gone into testing. On reference to this forum post, he politely said to do this google https://goo.gl/fx8fAu too see who else is messing about with this tech...

Search results speak for themselves....I think we might see more of this tech in future...

B

Some very interesting reading there!
I'm building another Boxer (1976 R100RS) & I'm definitely buying another set of Pulse-jets for it :D
R100CS / 1070 kit
Krauser MKM & 4v heads
R1200S
Thunderbird Sport
Dresda Honda 590/4
R NineT

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A CABLE TIE - IT REALLY IS BROKEN !!

Crazy Kev

Postby Crazy Kev » Sat May 27, 2017 9:02 pm

dave the german wrote:Of course Motorworks and Sherlocks are still very handy for used parts.

I wanted some LED indicators for my 12s - Sherlock's wanted £37 for a used one - at the time they were £32 new :shock:[/quote]

A Fool. And His. Money. Are Soon. Parted!!
Its Not a Phase, Its My Life,
Its Not a Hobby, It's. My Passion,
Its Not For Everyone, It Is For Me.

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Sun May 28, 2017 7:33 pm

Got 2 on the bay for the price of 1
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

HerrFlick

Postby HerrFlick » Tue May 30, 2017 1:02 pm

slparry wrote:https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=6&Q=ELA01261&x=0&y=0

seems a bit far fetched to me, what do you reckon people? :)

dyno.jpg

Initially, I like the basic idea, 'cos it's outside-the-the-box thinking applied an established design principle.

100 yrs ago, ppl suspected that the intake charge may not have finished burning before the exh valve opened.
Situation worsened with the advent of alloy pistons (= rise in rpm), so twin plugs were introduced, with the idea that if the fire was lit in two places, more of the fuel would be burned during that time period. Ahem koff koff ... how quaint ... :toothy7:

Off The Top Of My Head, (OTTOMH), there was a 1930's Nash, and fairly sure an Italian engine mob used it in the '20s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_ignition

But at the heart of the problem was 'swirl'. Ffwd to early '60's: Honda fitted a quartz glass window to the side of a cylinder and took slo-mo movies of the combustion process. Saw that much of the charge was not being ignited 'in time' because it was not being reached by the flame front. Realised they could swirl the intake flow by way of changes to intake valve angle, squish band, shape of piston crown, and get the flame front in contact with much more of the charge.

For those familiar with the original CB750-Four head, there is a small ridge existing between the valve seats. It assists with swirl production.

4 valve heads brought a new problem: symmetrical valve layout and combustion chamber shape = worse swirl. Yes - got sort of an offset viz better high rpm power, but with less efficient combustion. Lots of research papers on this.

One solution: my Porsche 928 S4: for years, tuners/porters etc moaning about detonation limiting power gains.
From left field: cam designer decides to slightly retard the opening of one inlet valve, so as to have the other produce a momentary spray-nozzle effect, to stir the pot, as it were, before the second valve opened.
Result: OTTMH, +60-70 hp, with several degrees fewer spark advance. (From a 320hp base).

On to the Jet Spark idea: in the mid-late '70's, Honda built the CVCC engine: Compound Vortex Controlled Combustion. Used a small additional combustion fed with very lean mixture. Lean mixture burned for longer, igniting swirling mixture = cleaner burn = lower emissions without use of cats. (mmreeeeowwww).

(BTW: Mr Honda wanted to corner the market with this innovation, but faced an executive/staff revolt: this innovation would improve global air quality / health for all ppl, therefore Honda San, we cannot capitalise upon it as we would our other market innovations. Honda licenced the patent for worldwide use This marked the decline of Sochiro Honda's authority within the company).

See where this idea is coming from, and why I think it has legs?
It produces both swirl and multiple ignition locations.

Another of those 'left field' ideas from a bloke doing a pit of pondering and 'thunking' in the back of his workshop.

For me here in Oz: 50 quid ex UK vat. Translates to AUD$100. For only ONE.! Cranky consumer in me ... grrrr.
But ... being logical about it ... if it works as advertised ... at $20/week for fuel, two would pay for themselves in the first year.

Vewy vewy tempted. Does Motorworks have a refund policy on these?
Real torque curves don't have a first derivative. :-^)

bfisher

Postby bfisher » Tue May 30, 2017 4:43 pm

Personally i would buy direct from Steve....as indicated he is still testing the single spark if you needed that. He is very approachable...

http://www.pulse-jetignition.co.uk/

I believe he was offering refund if not happy but I'd leave that for you to discuss...

He was also selling via eBay...see my other thread.

Brad

KTM AL

Postby KTM AL » Tue May 30, 2017 7:56 pm

Hi All
I have been reading up on these and in the Motor Works instructions
' with twin sparking an engine the retard is more efficient if the ignition sweep is reduced rather than simply retarding the whole ignition. This can be done by simply altering the flyweight stops within the ignition trigger by around 1mm.'
Can any one explain wheat this is ?
Cheers

KTM AL

Postby KTM AL » Wed May 31, 2017 3:45 pm

Just received a reply from Steve -

That element of the instructions is for Airhead 2v engines only and is not applicable to the 4v Models.
We have been working on a new version for both single and twin spark 4 v models, which we have now perfected and is with our production engineers, this will be available shortly. You can purchase direct or through MW.
I will drop you an email as soon as I have them.
Regards,
Steve

dysondiver

Postby dysondiver » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:08 pm

oh no ,, sounds like a thirty year old ford diesel ,,,, indirect injection , will we all need to fit a stop cable too

but ill watch it all with interest non the less
its not a boxer , its a 180 degree v-twin

Return to “Boxertech”