10 to 20% Power increase!

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

slparry

10 to 20% Power increase!

Postby slparry » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:10 pm

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop ... 61&x=0&y=0

seems a bit far fetched to me, what do you reckon people? :)

dyno.jpg
dyno.jpg (56.28 KiB) Viewed 10658 times
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Herb

Re: 10 to 20% Power increase!

Postby Herb » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:19 pm

I am sceptical!

10 to 20% is a huge increase in efficiency. If they were that good, the OEMs would be fitting them!
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

popsky

Postby popsky » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:45 pm

If I fitted this and had a hilltop remap I could be looking at in excess of 130 bhp :wink: where do I sign up :mrgreen:

………bollocks :roll:
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

bfisher

Postby bfisher » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:29 pm

See this thread : http://www.boxertrix.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22279&hilit=Pulse

Steve apparently guarantees results. Last contact I had was that the ones for single spark are still in development due to timing challenges.

I'm intrigued...

B

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:27 pm

I think the claim is related to the power of the spark not the power of the engine.

I think it would be put to better use in a tazer.

Are Motorworks still the go to place for boxer spares?

chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:42 am

boxerscott wrote:I think the claim is related to the power of the spark not the power of the engine.

I think it would be put to better use in a tazer.

Are Motorworks still the go to place for boxer spares?

chris

There was some changes a few years ago with BMW reducing the discount they got I think, so price wise local dealers are often the same, especially when you factor in the P&P charges.

Another point is there's two years warranty on parts purchased from a BMW dealer, I'm not sure how that equates to parts purchased from Motorworks (or Sherlocks)

Of course Motorworks and Sherlocks are still very handy for used parts.
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:53 am

Of course Motorworks and Sherlocks are still very handy for used parts.[/quote]

I wanted some LED indicators for my 12s - Sherlock's wanted £37 for a used one - at the time they were £32 new :shock:
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:39 am

On the Plus Side for Sherlock - a dealer may have to wait to get a part in and you a have to go collect it - not so goo dif you need a part mid-week- if you phone Sherlock's before lunchtime you are pretty much certain to get the part next day. I've been using them since 2000 and they've never let me down - . Whereas local dealer experience - I phoned for a gearbox drain plug - yes sir we have one in stock -I drove 15 miles to find a sump plug and no they didn't have a gear box plug at all. Speak as you find
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

feralworks

Postby feralworks » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:57 am

Although this bears no relation to how they'll work in an oilhead :roll: I bought a pair of these for my R100CS.
Yes the claims look like the usual verbal garbage from the likes of the diesel tuning box brigade but I trust Steve Scriminger, he knows his stuff!
My bike is not standard, '81 R100CS, Siebenrock 1070 kit & cam, Twin plugged, gas flowed heads, Silent Hektik crank mounted ignition.
After a chat with Steve he advised that the twin plug ignition settings should work ok (on a single plug engine the ignition needs less advance, similar to twin plugging).
So far I've only managed one run out (100 miles ish) & the results were interesting! With any significant throttle opening at low revs I now have pre-ignition pinking that wasn't there before, above 4000 RPM it flew! And very smooth too! Without a doubt they do promote faster combustion & there definitely felt like more grunt up top but I'm going to have to fiddle with timing & the various S-H ignition maps to get it to run properly. I'll report back when I get that done.
In the next couple of weeks I hope to be able to try them in a totally standard Airhead engine too.

Like I said, this bears no relation to how they'll work in an oilhead, but it proves the theory & it's a very cheap way to get that sort of power increase!
R100CS / 1070 kit
Krauser MKM & 4v heads
R1200S
Thunderbird Sport
Dresda Honda 590/4
R NineT

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A CABLE TIE - IT REALLY IS BROKEN !!

dysondiver

Postby dysondiver » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:30 pm

i read some where that BMW spends a million pounds a day in r and d ,,,, cant see them overlooking something as simple as a plug port design ,,,,
and for that reason alone , im out.
its not a boxer , its a 180 degree v-twin

oyster

Postby oyster » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:25 pm

Looking at the performance graphs, they suggest more power at over 4000 rpm, an area where the engine often fails to ignite all the presented fuel. Improve the combustion -as here with a pre chamber - chances are it will deliver more power. It is where the twin plugs gain some performance as well as help keep emissions down.
Useful for the handful needed for overtaking, but as Captain Slow, I am unlikely to gain much from it.
Oyster. 1999 R1100S. Almost original.

SP250

Postby SP250 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:23 pm

Not sure I believe it.

Pre-combustion chamber was developed for diesel's for different reasons.
Also everyone is forgetting that the fresh charge has to find its way into the small chamber to be ignited by the plug in the first place.
So that will take more time, the spark timing will need to be changed as well.
It may well ignite more of the charge and burn more of it, but it will be later in the crank cycle.

I would want to see it in real time on an engine dyno to prove it's not just another smoke and mirrors scam.
John M

feralworks

Postby feralworks » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:28 pm

Further to my earlier post, I've now been able to readjust the timing with even less advance & the results are impressive! Above 4k it's given me a boost in power that has totally surprised me. So much so that I removed the Pulsejets & tried the bike without, then with the timing altered, then tried different maps, then put it all back again just to prove to myself that it wasn't just some quirk of the timing adjustment on its own.
Something else I noticed was with the pulsejets installed I had a much better tickover than I'd had for a while (due to running so little static advance). Now with only 1 Deg advance it ticked over like a watch, remove the pulsejets & it wouldn't tick over at all!
10-20% increase in power? I've no idea. It's sometimes hard to feel a modest power increase but I can certainly feel this!
On my old R11S I had Lennies induct & sprockets, Val Singleton filter mod, power commander & a full Remus pipe & it didn't make half the difference these do...
I can honestly see why people would be sceptical, if they hadn't been designed by one of the BMW Airhead gurus, Steve Scriminger, I probably wouldn't have bought them in the first place.

What I can't say, though, is how well they'll work on any other engine. I've got them on the old Airhead engine they were designed for & they certainly work on that :?
R100CS / 1070 kit
Krauser MKM & 4v heads
R1200S
Thunderbird Sport
Dresda Honda 590/4
R NineT

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A CABLE TIE - IT REALLY IS BROKEN !!

bfisher

Postby bfisher » Mon May 22, 2017 11:00 pm

Quick update... queried Steve where he was at in terms of ones for single spark, just gone into testing. On reference to this forum post, he politely said to do this google https://goo.gl/fx8fAu too see who else is messing about with this tech...

Search results speak for themselves....I think we might see more of this tech in future...

B

Herb

Postby Herb » Tue May 23, 2017 5:11 am

Ok. I'm preparing to eat humble pie! Be interesting to see where this goes in the mainstream.
********Jim********

---------------------------

2006 'Colgate' R1200s

Return to “Boxertech”