Clutch Kaput?

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

cakeman

Clutch Kaput?

Postby cakeman » Tue May 09, 2017 6:47 pm

Hi Guys,
Took the r11s for it's MOT on Saturday, passed no problems and no advisories, all set for a ride out on Sunday with a mate on his new bike and about 5 miles in thought I felt a bit of clutch slip at about 4500 rpm, anyway I backed off a bit for the next few miles and the clutch slip got progressively worse, after about 25 miles thought I'd play it safe and turned around to return home. Managed to coax the old girl home but by the time I got back it was slipping like mad. So I resigned myself to replacing the clutch but today I got round to dropping the starter motor off to see if there was any sign of oil or wear on or to the clutch plate and was surprised to find everything was hunky dorey. Now the bike has done 57k and up until Sunday had been fine with no hint of any clutch problems.....The only thing I noticed on Sunday was that there seems to be no free play at the clutch lever and it was only releasing at the very end of it's travel making smooth gear changes really difficult, it was almost as if the clutch wasn't or isn't releasing fully. Any idea's?
Cheers
Rich

nab 301

Re: Clutch Kaput?

Postby nab 301 » Tue May 09, 2017 7:39 pm

The slave cylinder at the gearbox end could be corroded/ seized ? Not too difficult to get at ,and just confirm that the master cylinder isn't sticking also, remove the wheel and the bottom shock mounting bolt to allow access ( while supporting the swing arm...)
I replaced mine at 70k odd miles , it wasn't corroded but there was an unexpected minor gear oil leak , I did nothing in the interim currently at 115 k miles :oops:

viewtopic.php?t=11856&highlight=slave

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

Hay Ewe^

Postby Hay Ewe^ » Tue May 09, 2017 9:24 pm

yep, if the plates are dry and no sign of oil in there, next I would check the clutch pushrod actuator at the back of the G/Box.
Start with the simple things.

cakeman

Postby cakeman » Wed May 10, 2017 3:52 pm

Just a quick update, managed to get half an hour this afternoon to look at the the bike, bled the clutch (which I did about a year ago when I first got the bike just to flush the system through) and the free play at the lever has returned, probably about 5-7mm of travel before I can feel it start to put pressure on the clutch, this was not there Sunday on returning from my ride out. Started the bike and popped it into gear and fed the clutch out gently, bike starts to creep forward at about half lever travel and all seems well. Went out for a short ride (about 5 miles) and everything seems fine and back to normal, no clutch slip or anything out of the ordinary....weird. Still think I'll drop the slave cylinder off at the weekend to have a look. Also after reading a few post's on the topic I checked the condition of the fluid (although fairly new) and it was perfectly normal with no sign of any contamination.
Any thoughts on this are gratefully received.
Cheers
Rich

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sat May 13, 2017 10:38 pm

My thoughts are thus, If problem was related to lever/ cylinders etc that would effect engaging/ disengaging gears not "slip"? No?

I reckon it is a strip down cos your dry clutch is now wet with either oil or hydraulic fluid.

Chris.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Return to “Boxertech”