How does the steering damper work (yes checked using search)

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Hay Ewe^

How does the steering damper work (yes checked using search)

Postby Hay Ewe^ » Sun May 21, 2017 8:13 am

Three weeks to go till I pick up my 1100S. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=21816
Its a fly / ride, 1100 miles from the south of Queensland to the North (yes, may do a trip write up)

Anyway, when I looked at the bike, there is a knob with +- on it just behind the top 'triple' clamp (I know its not really a triple clamp).

When I look at the IPC page on MaxBMW http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/ ... d=12082016
It doesnt show anything like a knob to adjust tightness.

I dont have anything like this on my 1150GS and as I shall be having limited time to get to know the bike before hand, asking for guidance from the collective.

Thanks

dave the german

Re: How does the steering damper work (yes checked using search)

Postby dave the german » Sun May 21, 2017 11:09 am

I wouldn't worry about it - it never done anything when I tried it on my Boxercup (pre load - I think)
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Mr Charrington

Postby Mr Charrington » Sun May 21, 2017 5:08 pm

Hallo there.
The knob you are talking about is for the front shock , rebound damping adjustment .
The more you turn it to the + the stiffer the front shocks rebound gets.

If it's the stock shock you won't see any big differences.

Enjoy your ride .
shock1336887828.jpg
shock1336887828.jpg (107.7 KiB) Viewed 4925 times

Hay Ewe^

Postby Hay Ewe^ » Sun May 21, 2017 9:13 pm

ahhhh.

oooppssssss
feel a bit of a knob now myself....
Should have realised that

thanks
(tempted to delete this thread to hide my blush but will leave it for the next one....)

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Tue May 23, 2017 9:19 pm

Ha, do not be embarrassed it is the qwirky BMW telelever system that absorbs most of the impact loads and not the forks. Easy assumption to make if one has not had telelever before :wink:

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Hay Ewe^

Postby Hay Ewe^ » Tue May 23, 2017 11:52 pm

boxerscott wrote:Ha, do not be embarrassed it is the qwirky BMW telelever system that absorbs most of the impact loads and not the forks. Easy assumption to make if one has not had telelever before :wink:

Chris

have had a 1150 GS since 2005, all savy on paralever / telelever / final drive / UJ Phasing
I had recently been reading up on steering dampers and just made an assumption that knob was for the steering damper, the standard shock on my 1150GS didn't have any functionality like that and I didnt have long enough to really look over and around the bike whilst on a test ride.

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Wed May 24, 2017 2:01 pm

I think the general wisdom is - If you have standard shocks turn it to full soft and the bike will be fine turn it up to full hard and you'll lose your teeth, the feeling in your arms and the will to live after about 100 miles.
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Wed May 24, 2017 7:41 pm

Hay Ewe^ wrote:
boxerscott wrote:Ha, do not be embarrassed it is the qwirky BMW telelever system that absorbs most of the impact loads and not the forks. Easy assumption to make if one has not had telelever before :wink:

Chris

have had a 1150 GS since 2005, all savy on paralever / telelever / final drive / UJ Phasing
I had recently been reading up on steering dampers and just made an assumption that knob was for the steering damper, the standard shock on my 1150GS didn't have any functionality like that and I didnt have long enough to really look over and around the bike whilst on a test ride.
You should be embarrassed then! :wink:
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Return to “Boxertech”