Fitting a Laser race exhaust.

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

tanneman

Fitting a Laser race exhaust.

Postby tanneman » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:40 pm

I have been looking forward to this and also dreading it. These systems are a pain to fit and proved rightly so. Luckily the missus was at hand otherwise a lot of swearing at such an idiot design would have ensued.

The panels to the sub frame, rear light and seat has to be removed. Firstly loosen of the headers at the cylinders and the balance tube clamp. Easier said than done but if you have, in the past, applied some copper grease it will be easy. Ignore if you are going to break a stud or continue if you fancy testing your engineering skills. Offer up the crossover pipe to the headers under gearbox and loosely fit it. Next, assemble the exhaust can and clamps to the hanging bracket. A few choice words might be spoken during this process but it won't help. Don't swear at the helping hand either because this will just complicate matters whilst you are trying to thread that bastard socket cap screw thought 4 clamp ends and screw it into the bracket. There are 4 of them and it doesn't get any easier and the vocabulary is very much restricted so bite your tongue. Leave the clamps loose as you'll see later. After this operation you can hang the end cans and bracket assembly. The cans and pipes were one unit as how I fitted it. The can with the pipe that twist a bit more goes on the RH side. There is a screw under the seat that needs removing and the spring clip, in place goes a socket cap screw to secure the front end of the bracket. At the rear a device is hanged over the original exhaust hangers and the bracket bolted to it. Adjust the amount the cans protrude by gentle persuasion, the clamps to the front of the cans are very near the caps, and at the rear it should just about protrude the angled exhaust tips past the fairing. Offer up the connecting piece 1-2 stubby. At this point it looks like it is unlikely to fit but wrestle a bit with it and it soon slips in at both ends. Fit the retaining springs before tightening everything up.

Here is where I stopped.

At least the test fit is done but 3 issues cropped up. I can ask on the forum or wait for my friend to return from Spain to have a look at his. But I cannot wait. It looks a bit unnatural the way the 1-2 stubby fits. See photo

And there is a bracket to secure the exhaust clamp to somewhere on the bike. How it is going to fit I cannot work out. It looks like this without the bracket. I should add that this clamp fits to the stubby 1-2 section.

I also need to know if and what rubber grommet goes over the original exhaust hangers as I can't see metal to metal being the theme and the vibration that is going along with the set up.

If anybody can offer some help and or photos it is greatly appreciated.
'Let me check my concernometer.'

Blackal

Re: Fitting a Laser race exhaust.

Postby Blackal » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:54 am

I don't think there are many people with a full Laser exhaust?

But - if you "google-images" Laser exhaust BMW R1100s

you will see some pics of the full exhaust. Use "go to page" on the image, and it leads you to a few Pelicanparts threads, like this one:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r110 ... y-bcr.html

Might not have the answers, but you could identify the people who have done the job. Contact them and they may have some tips and pics?

Al :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

f90x

Postby f90x » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:36 am

There are proper grommets available. A long time ago I nearly ordered some for mine. I'll have a look and see if I can find them online.
R1200GS TC. Triple Black
R1200S. It’s gone. Had it 11yrs. My favourite bike in 42yrs riding.

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

f90x

Postby f90x » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:43 am

Well, I don't remember where I saw them listed. (It was nearly ten years ago) Here is a conversation about them from this very board way back when...

viewtopic.php?p=47423
R1200GS TC. Triple Black
R1200S. It’s gone. Had it 11yrs. My favourite bike in 42yrs riding.

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:56 am

Thanks Blackal

Never thought of that.

Well all the queries have been answered by Google. Nice blog http://daviddreesen.blogspot.co.uk/2016 ... uning.html

The exhaust assembly does look a bit funny when fitted as this photo shows of a Van Haarten supplied BCR.

The fitting is bolted to the lower mounting for the rear sub frame as it shows here

I will need to source some grommets for the exhaust hanger. Here is the Laser pic

Unfortunately and as expected the bits are no longer being made so it is Google again.

There is a lot of information about tuning the 11S but I intend to keep it close to standard and just get the bike to breathe right with the right fueling. A PC111 would be nice but these things are now like the proverbial rocking horse droppings. If anybody knows of one for sale let me know. In the mean time I have GSJohn chip stage 9 on the way.

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:59 am

f90x wrote:Well, I don't remember where I saw them listed. (It was nearly ten years ago) Here is a conversation about them from this very board way back when...

viewtopic.php?p=47423

Thank you very much f90x. You are a star xxx :D

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:19 pm

A very kind gentleman on the forum offered his PCIII for sale to me. Cheeky bugger I am I made an offer only to be refused :) Upside is that the PCIII has been fitted to this before

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14457

Oh yes. The PC III should be here soon and then I have reached another step.

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:52 am

I have not progressed much because it is too cold for a proper session in the garage. I did spend a bit of time cleaning the bits that is normally hidden by the tank and bodywork. Took notes of bits I want to replace like the wheel bolts and the calliper bolts etc. and stopped by BMW to order the bits ready for next week.

I have sourced some exhaust baffles from eBay and Rudy and me tested it on his BCR yesterday.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262573054227? ... EBIDX%3AIT

A marked reduction in noise. An estimated informed guess would be about 4 dB going by the sound meter app. Did a bit of research on the apps available. The problem is 2 fold. The accuracy of the app and the ability of the phone microphone. The microphone is good up to about 90dB, after that the accuracy drops drastically and you can have a measurement of +- 5dB. The good thing about the app I downloaded is that you can calibrate it. Knowing that he tested at about 104dB the app was calibrated and with the baffles in I measured about 100dB. So we are on the right track. Just need to give Andy a call at Bedford Autodrome so we can validate the measurements later this year after the salt is washed off.

Today I'm going to JC Weldfab to make a number plate hanger so I measured and draw some lines on a paper.

Another job for today is to get some wires in the correct gauge to extend the Lambda sensor wires for the PCIII.

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:18 pm

A bit of progress today. Picked up the number plate hanger from JC Weldfab. It was not much of something to do but they did a good job and I'm happy with the result. I will offer it up and determine where to drill the holes to mount it hence the marked centreline.

Just a bit of promotion for the John and Micheal at JC Weldfab. These lads know their stuff. Last week there was a new Honda touring car in there for fitting out with whatnots that regulations require and they are doing the exhaust for a '75 Williams F1 car. No pics but their work is spot on. They also did some work for Sandbar on the HP2 exhausts.

Next job for the afternoon was to extend the Lambda sensor wires and just a general clean up of the electrical tape that was wrapped around the harness of the PC III. Got rid of it and used some self amalgamating tape to tidy it up.

The tools and bits ready.

No turning back now.

Done.

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:30 pm

Almost finished with the R1100S. Previously I fitted the PCIII and routed the wires before lowering the tank back on. Today, brakes cleaned and new front brake pads fitted with new bolts for the calipers. Rear wheel fitted with new bolts. Sub frame bolts replaced. New Laser exhaust aligned to be in the centre, tank secured and the panels refitted. Couldn't resit starting the bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQwlvy3 ... e=youtu.be

Boxermed69

Postby Boxermed69 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:23 pm

Sounds great :)

Mike
Horizontally opposed, vertically challenged...

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:31 pm

Oh yes, it does sound lovely and you can hear it through the earplugs.

Yesterday I gave it a thorough clean.

The goodies to make it shine

Some snow before the elbow grease starts

Forgot about the rear brake caliper bolts I wanted to replace. A nip down to the local bolts and nuts place to get some black M8 cap screws with washers. Fitted and torqued, check the other bolts and bits and it was ready for MOT the next day

Today, at last the bike went for it MOT. Passed with no advisories. Brakes bled, VED paid and I picked it up to go for a detour to get some fuel. Whoa! To say that the bike has been transformed is far of the mark. It is a total different machine. Nothing holds it back, it is easy to ride in traffic, just twist the throttle and before you can say BMW the needle is at 140. All it needs is a throttle body balance because there is bit of vibration (not worse that it was before) that shouldn't be there and a trip to BSD when the funds allow.

But tomorrow a friend and I are going for a ride together. We have the same bikes with the same exhausts so we'll serenade South Lincolnshire with lovely flat twin noise.

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:55 pm

This morning I set on it with the plan to make sure the throttle cables were set correctly and also check the the BBS are equal. Well the throttle cables were a bit out and also the BBS. 5 minutes later and that was sorted. Started the bike and used the PC III throttle reset function to reset the TPS. Result. The idle is now spot on and it starts easier. The air/fuel ratio is very near to what it should be, was a bit rich before. All in all 10 minutes. I dashed into the home to get my kit on to join a club ride out. Didn't think I would have time for that today.

Well, the club ride out just confirmed that there is too many pricks who own motorcycles. I prefer to ride with my friends .

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:47 am

The throttle bodies were a bit out despite my efforts. Gave Ian at Bike Motor Works a call and promptly visited him to have the bike fettled with. Throttle bodies are now spot on but there is still some unwanted vibration at higher RPM. Next would be a visit to a rolling road.

Return to “Boxertech”