Loud noise from transmission

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

SimonThun

Loud noise from transmission

Postby SimonThun » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:32 pm

Hi,

I have discovered a rather loud noise from the rear end of my R1100S ('99) when driving. The noise is present when the wheel is turning, regardless of whether the bike's in neutral or in gear - which leads me to believe the noise is coming from somewhere within the drivetrain.
I feel confident, that I am able to separate this noise from the tiny squeaks coming from the brakepads slightly touching the brakedisc when the wheel is turning.
Is this sound normal from the drivetrain? Or have any of you guys experienced something similar? I have not had the wheel removed or change the oil in the drivetrain in order to locate the fault (if any?), since transmission fluids where changed less than 10.000 km ago.
There doesn't seem to be any play in the rearwheel, either 3-9 or 12-6.
The noise is loud enough for both me and the missus noticing it when cruising in the city at 30 mph with the helmets open.

Any tips is appreciated - if this is just me not being completely used to shaft drive yet, please let me know.

This video shows the noise when the bike is turned of and I am only turning the wheel manually. The noise is equally loud if the bike is put in gear:
https://youtu.be/TBHqSEdRmwI

nab 301

Re: Loud noise from transmission

Postby nab 301 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:17 pm

It's hard to tell from the video , but the noise could be coming from the bevel box. I'd drain the oil and inspect the magnetic plug just to be sure .
I had something similar but ended up removing the bevel box( so that i could spin it separately) to confirm . Using a stethoscope/ screwdriver I reckoned the noise was coming from the input bearing.
Original post there

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16148&p=132797&hilit=bevel#p132797

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

fontana

Postby fontana » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:21 pm

I'm no expert, but the first thing I'd do is make sure the rear break isn't binding.
Easy enough to do.
Go out for a ride of about 5 miles without using any rear brake.
Then feel the disc and if it's red hot then that's what it is.
Worth eliminating as a possibility.

Edit
I just watched the video and noticed the wheel spins freely, so brake binding unlikely

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:36 am

fontana wrote:I'm no expert, but the first thing I'd do is make sure the rear break isn't binding.
Easy enough to do.
Go out for a ride of about 5 miles without using any rear brake.
Then feel the disc and if it's red hot then that's what it is.
Worth eliminating as a possibility.

Edit
I just watched the video and noticed the wheel spins freely, so brake binding unlikely

Agree with Fontana edit that brake binding unlikely, but as someone who has experienced a slightly binding rear brake on my Falco, I would caution against the advice to "feel the disk". I would spit on the disk as a starter. :D

fontana

Postby fontana » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:45 pm

I spun the wheel on my 1100RS today and to be honest, it makes the same sound as your bike.
In the case of my bike, it's just the normal sound of the pads up against the disc.

Mitch1100

Postby Mitch1100 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:32 am

Paralever bearings?
2009 HP2 Sport...sold
2006 R1200s with yellow rim tape
2008 Ducati Monster S4RS Tricolore..sold
2004 R1100s BoxerCup Replika..sold
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318/600

Steptoe

Postby Steptoe » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:52 pm

Put your foot on the rear caliper where it has BMW stamped and push as hard as you can. This will retract the brake caliper pistons and spread the pads so they won't be touching the disc (it's also good idea to do this every couple of months anyway as it prevents the rear caliper pins seizing) .
Now turn the wheel.. does it still make the same noise or is it quiet ?

If it's now quiet it was the brake pads.
if it's still noisy it's more than likey your final drive crown wheel bearing needs replacing.

Return to “Boxertech”