Front Tyre Feathering my experiences

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

The Teutonic Tangerine

Front Tyre Feathering my experiences

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:21 pm

Hanging seen another posts about feathering and handling I thought I'd give my experiences of feathering - I suffered feathering on my R80Rt and again in my Divvy900 and when I first got my 1100s - I put it down to -"that's how front tyres wear ".
However since I b came a member of a small club where I followed other riders ( some of them Gold standard riders ). I don't hoon up to corners in a high gear then brake hard then bang it down several gears and then blatt out of the bend. I can now ride fast for miles on country roads without having to brake hard - my front tyres no longer feather and my brake pads last way longer than before (when I first had my 1100s I changed pads every 10k by the time I had sold my second ST I put new in when I bought it and never changed them they still has plenty 32k miles later . As I say my experience of Tyre feathering which I no longer suffer from
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

Grip Fast

Re: Front Tyre Feathering my experiences

Postby Grip Fast » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:09 pm

I haven't come across tyre feathering, but then I always found charging up to corners, braking and kicking down a couple of gears too manic and I couldn't do it. I guess it was reading some magazine articles and watching guys hooning about that made me think that was what should be done. But it never worked for me. I ended up slow and erratic, and frustrated by it.

It was joining a certain organisation (which will remain nameless in case it starts another bun-fight going) who, with a bit of coaching about the correct gear selection, got my riding a lot smoother, and like you, I hardly ever touch the brakes on the open road. With something like the R12S on good windy roads, I'm in 4th gear almost all the time and just rolling on and off the throttle, and bend swinging. The engine braking is all that's needed on the approach to a bend, and then on the throttle progressively as the bend opens out.

Very satisfying and probably quicker than hard braking and dancing on the gears.

And that's how you suck eggs, granny. :oops:

dysondiver

Re: Front Tyre Feathering my experiences

Postby dysondiver » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:02 pm

slow is smooth

smooth is fast

fast wins races

thats all there is to it reALLY. 8)
its not a boxer , its a 180 degree v-twin

Return to “Boxertech”