Help w. TB sync in London?

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

victorlaszlo

Help w. TB sync in London?

Postby victorlaszlo » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:00 pm

I need to sync the TBs on my 12S and having only synched carbs in the past it would be great if someone could spend some time running me through the basics. Also the fact someone borrowed my synch tool without returning it makes it difficult to carry out one by myself...

So is there anyone out there who could help me with this...? I would be eternally grateful :)

Cheers Vic

Dids

Re: Help w. TB sync in London?

Postby Dids » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:10 pm

I bought some Davida vacuum gauges for the servicing I carried out on my R1100S & R1200S a couple of months ago.
When I checked the throttle body sync it turned out that both bikes were actually OK, so I didn't need to adjust anything.
I had read up on it though and it seems that the procedure is actually fairly straightforward, just need to be sure that you leave a little slack in the cables.

I live in SE London in the Brixton area.
If you wanted to pop over at some point I'd be happy to help you sync your R1200S.
As I say, I haven't actually carried out the process myself, but felt confident enough to do the work on my bikes, if they'd needed it.

Cheers

Dave

victorlaszlo

Postby victorlaszlo » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Dids wrote:I bought some Davida vacuum gauges for the servicing I carried out on my R1100S & R1200S a couple of months ago.
When I checked the throttle body sync it turned out that both bikes were actually OK, so I didn't need to adjust anything.
I had read up on it though and it seems that the procedure is actually fairly straightforward, just need to be sure that you leave a little slack in the cables.

I live in SE London in the Brixton area.
If you wanted to pop over at some point I'd be happy to help you sync your R1200S.
As I say, I haven't actually carried out the process myself, but felt confident enough to do the work on my bikes, if they'd needed it.

Cheers

Dave

Dave, that sounds like an amazing offer - are you free during daytime any time this week...?

Cheers Victor

Dids

Postby Dids » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:03 pm

I keep my R1100S & R1200S up in a village in the north of Lancashire - brilliant roads for those bikes up there....... :)
At the moment that's where my vacuum gauges are too.
I'm going up there weekend after next and can bring the gauges back to London with me.
Would be free most days after 11th July for a meet up to sync the TBs
Cheers
Dave

victorlaszlo

Postby victorlaszlo » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:26 pm

Sounds great - thanks a lot in advance, looking forward to it!

Dids

Postby Dids » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:48 am

I'll send you a pm with my address once I have the vacuum gauges here in London, week after next.

Here's a link to a web page showing the procedure:
http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/index12 ... eId=264844

Just having a look at the throttle body adjustment on my London bike, an R1150RS, this morning.
Slightly different cable/adjuster design to the R1200S but the principle looks the same.

I think the procedure should be fairly straightforward......

Steptoe

Postby Steptoe » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:32 pm

To synch the idle/stepper motors on a 1200 you'll need to plug in a GS911 diagnostic service tool .

Dids

Postby Dids » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:21 am

To synch the idle/stepper motors on a 1200 you'll need to plug in a GS911 diagnostic service tool

I'm back in London and have brought my Davida vacuum gauges with me.

If you'd like to pop around (I live near Brixton) then I'd be happy to plug them in to check if the R1200S Throttle Bodies are in synch.

I think that the cable adjustment is probably fairly straightforward, but, Steptoe advises (see above quote) that you'd need the GS911 diagnostic service tool if you want to synch the idle/stepper motors.

If the idle/stepper motors do need adjustment then you may want to contact Steptoe who (as you may know) runs a BMW motorcycle service centre from his place in the Kingston/Putney area.
Steptoe services my R1150RS here in London and does a brilliant job - highly recommended.......... :)

If you'd like to pop round, do let me know & I'll PM you my address

Cheers

victorlaszlo

Postby victorlaszlo » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:08 pm

Dids wrote:
To synch the idle/stepper motors on a 1200 you'll need to plug in a GS911 diagnostic service tool

I'm back in London and have brought my Davida vacuum gauges with me.

If you'd like to pop around (I live near Brixton) then I'd be happy to plug them in to check if the R1200S Throttle Bodies are in synch.

I think that the cable adjustment is probably fairly straightforward, but, Steptoe advises (see above quote) that you'd need the GS911 diagnostic service tool if you want to synch the idle/stepper motors.

If the idle/stepper motors do need adjustment then you may want to contact Steptoe who (as you may know) runs a BMW motorcycle service centre from his place in the Kingston/Putney area.
Steptoe services my R1150RS here in London and does a brilliant job - highly recommended.......... :)

If you'd like to pop round, do let me know & I'll PM you my address

Cheers

I'd be more than happy but without the GS911 procedure does it make any sense?

From my point of view the idling is low 1000-1100) and sounds out of synch, almost as when my old R100 ran on one cylinder once properly heated up...

Cheers Victor

Dids

Postby Dids » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:38 pm

I'd be more than happy but without the GS911 procedure does it make any sense?

From my point of view the idling is low 1000-1100) and sounds out of synch, almost as when my old R100 ran on one cylinder once properly heated up...

Cheers Victor

Victor,

My R1200S up in Lancashire idles at around 1000-1100 and sounds OK.

If you want to check your TB synch you're welcome to use my Davida vacuum gauges.

Otherwise you might want to contact Steptoe & I'm sure that he'd do a great job of tuning your R1200S.

Cheers

David

victorlaszlo

Postby victorlaszlo » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:29 am

Cheers Dids, thanks a lot for the offer but it sounds as if the 911 is indeed needed so will have to take it to my dealer... Cheers Vic

Dids

Postby Dids » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:59 am

Cheers Dids, thanks a lot for the offer but it sounds as if the 911 is indeed needed so will have to take it to my dealer... Cheers Vic

Ahhhhh OK.........

I'll take my Davida vacuum gauges back up to Lancashire then

victorlaszlo

Postby victorlaszlo » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:32 am

Dids wrote:

Ahhhhh OK.........

I'll take my Davida vacuum gauges back up to Lancashire then

Sorry for the inconvenience.... :(

Dids

Postby Dids » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:20 pm

No probs...... :)

Return to “Boxertech”