high idle lever operation.

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Happiharri

high idle lever operation.

Postby Happiharri » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:21 pm

Hi all. I call it the high idle lever and I hope you guys know what I am referring to?

I use the high idle lever as one would use a choke on start up. And then decrease the lever as the bike warms up lowering the revs. But at idling I find I have to have the lever cracked a little bit otherwise the bike idles too low.

Do you guys run/ride with the lever cracked open a little or should the lever be fully closed down?

nab 301

Re: high idle lever operation.

Postby nab 301 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:54 pm

Happiharri wrote:Do you guys run/ride with the lever cracked open a little or should the lever be fully closed down?

It shouldn't be required , but all it's doing is holding the throttle bodies open the same as if you were using the twistgrip. The idle is controlled by the brass air screws in the throttle bodies , check that the vacuum plugs underneath the throttle bodies are present . You'll need carb balancing equipment of some sort if you want to adjust these properly.

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

Happiharri

Postby Happiharri » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:42 pm

Hi nab, should have mentioned it's a R1100s but I think you've sussed that out.

I will check for vacuum plugs when I get into the garage in the morning. I thought the big brass screws might have something to do with the idle. So if needs be I can get the carbs balanced which should sort the idle out.

Steptoe

Postby Steptoe » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:46 pm

Happiharri wrote:Hi all. I call it the high idle lever and I hope you guys know what I am referring to?

I use the high idle lever as one would use a choke on start up. And then decrease the lever as the bike warms up lowering the revs. But at idling I find I have to have the lever cracked a little bit otherwise the bike idles too low.

Do you guys run/ride with the lever cracked open a little or should the lever be fully closed down?

Just unscrew each big brass screw a quarter of a turn at a time until you're happy with the idle.

Happiharri

Postby Happiharri » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:27 pm

I took out the brass screws and used carb cleaner to remove the gunk. Then after taking the bike for a spin to get things warmed up I used a twin vacuum gauge to get a nice idle. Idles perfectly now. Thanks for the replies.

Return to “Boxertech”