System Pannier locks help - oops

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

masha

System Pannier locks help - oops

Postby masha » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:13 am

Until recently I owned 2x R1100S bikes.
I sold one last month to a new owner that is going to be tricky to get in touch with - and discovered at the weekend that I had previously coded my System pannier locks to the ignition keys of the bike I sold - Doh!

Can anyone offer advice on getting the cylinders out to recode them with the key, or how best to drill them out and where to get a couple of replacement cylinders.

Thanks M (2017 Darwin Awards finalist) :roll:
Matt Masha
'04 R1100S BoxerCup (and other bikes by Honda, Ducati and KTM)

popsky

Re: System Pannier locks help - oops

Postby popsky » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:21 pm

Probably best advice is look up lock removal for system case on you tube and go from there, you could then get replacement locks/biscuits from your local dealer, that is how I removed the lock from my wife's F800r top case, you'll have to persevere as it's fiddly so good luck :lol:
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

metropolis2k

Postby metropolis2k » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:57 am

Given the way the locks work they're pretty easy to pick. If you had written down the order of the wafers then even easier! That might be your first option. I'm pretty sure I managed to open some old panniers with the wrong key because it was close enough to being correct.
2000 BMW R1150GS
2004 BMW R1100SS Boxer Cup Replica
2003 Yamaha R6 (trackday bike)

Jeff Highland

Postby Jeff Highland » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:11 am

I'm sure I came across some tutorials for doing this on Youtube when I was rekeying my set. I had the key so was able to get it out easily but there is a way to remove it without.
I'll see if I can find it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TEwD6nEpgk

Betelguese

Postby Betelguese » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:17 pm

I recently bought a set of 2nd hand panniers for my 11s, they came with only one flat key which obviously was different to my other locks. I looked at the YouTube stuff and worked out how to get the locks out (poke thin screwdriver down the small hole at the side of the lock while the key is in). Rather than buy more wafers and have the hassle of keying them to my ignition lock I just put the ignition key in the barrels and ground the wafers flush with the outside of the barrels. They now work perfectly with both sets of keys. It probably makes them a fair bit easier to pick but who is going to know? And why would anyone want my dirty underwear anyway?
I could always do a proper job later by buying some new wafers, but doubt I'll ever bother.

Return to “Boxertech”