getting under the skin of a Gixxer

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

boxerscott

getting under the skin of a Gixxer

Postby boxerscott » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:12 pm

As some of you know I recently bought a 750 Gixxer k5 anniversary edition. Low mileage, 2 previous owners to myself, paperwork and bike as described... Mint but dull in the main to the seller having priorities elsewhere with a lovely young family. So for a couple of nights this week I removed fairings to take a closer look at what I have taken on, chain gloop everywhere where it could fling and that was the only downside, not a scrape, ding or crack to be found anywhere, headers still bright shiny. Great condition casings and covers. Full tool kit under the seat even a charge point for my optimate and the yoshimura baffle wrapped up that had been drilled from the tri oval can. The anni bike came with two cans a black carbon one and the tri oval polished ss one with anni badge. I dropped the oil and sieved it, no signs of excessive engine wear, it was clean and obviously a full synth. My Yorkshireness compelled me to put it back in the engine but I did not. New filter and 3+ litres of 10 40 fs from Westway lubricants. (From ebay.. best value oil money can buy)

My curiosity got the better of me and I wanted to know what the coolant was like, Analysis required. Got the engine coolant up to 100 deg c, let it cool then dropped the hose off the water pump and the fluid gushed into a receptacle. Common glycol ethanols are either clear green or blue. This solution was opaque green, not clear green and to my pleasure there were no globules of escaped engine oil from seal interfaces. Amazingly I found two mummified insects! Glycol must be a good embalmer! No need to hydrometer it I could tell by feel and smell that the solution was strong. ( My gained experience of frost protecting external boilers and static homes). I then bunged into rad a good dose of central heating cleaner with tap water (Cura,all metal system cleaner, BES supplies mucho inexpensivo unlike named brands costing 4 x as much and same stuff! ) I have raised the cleaner flushing solution up to a 100 deg c a couple of times and left it in till I can find the time to drop it , lift the fuel tank and remove the rad for an external bathing and cleaning. I reckon the coolant circuit does not get the level of attention that other important fluid circuits do on such engines and it is really a simple task that can give vital clues as to impending doom. I will be ordering up some inexpensive distilled water for the final solution of my Cura anti freeze/ inhibitor (BES supplies) same stuff that I use to winter protect folks exposed heating circuits. Remember, Anti freeze solutions can be flammable and intelligent thought has to be given to disposing of old solutions, so it says on the container. My recent acquisition is stacking up to be a good one considering the £4k I paid for it. Robust engine, legendary race pedigree and importantly low costs in use compared to other desirable middleweight sports bikes... I will post up some piccies for you guys to drool over when I have faffed and polished it up. :)
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Al

Re: getting under the skin of a Gixxer

Postby Al » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:49 pm

Amanda must be pleased, all that peace and quiet while you are busying yourself in the garage :D

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:45 pm

Looking forward to the photos.. I guess you did a Frankie Chili and Suzuki bailed you out after underperforming on the Ducati :wink:
I went the opposite way recently and swopped my mint '04 Bandit for an '04 Breva 750 :shock: I must start my own thread when I've plucked up the courage to investigate the mechanicals and maybe even ride it.

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:51 pm

Kindred spirit Nigel :) Amanda is so happy I have a dark nights project. The dark side of the equinox is not good for my mental health, fact I absolutely dread it. Can not wait for the 6 Nations which signals the brighter side of life.!

The Ducati sale was quite easy, as much as every ride was a look forward to event I could not live with the cheap matte Black dusting of paint. It had to go.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Return to “Boxertech”