when you buy a bike......

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

stevesilver

when you buy a bike......

Postby stevesilver » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:38 pm

So, when you buy a secondhand bike, you never know what the previous owner/owners have done to it.

I don't mean as in crashing or damaging it in some way, but as in what helpful unseen extras have been put in.
Especially if the info has been lost/forgotten between owners.

I think this is the first time I really felt like this, maybe because there seems to be so many hidden things that can be up rated on the 11S

I presume I must thinking like this as I have just found how bloody difficult it is to strip it down :lol:

So although Im not brave enough to actually remove the tank in my strip down to sort bloody alarm out,(see seperate post) :D
I have discovered I seem to have a K&N filter.
Its bloody filthy, so have ordered cleaning kit for it.

Its made me think, have I got this fabled uprated chip? and how would I know if I have a lennies induction pipe?

I have the race cans, no cat, and it seems by sheer fluke I have one of the bikes that is same spec as the cup versions.

So many questions?

I know someone out there will have the answer :D

Update, sent alarm off to VED who are the recommended service people for Laser alarms.
My battery has exploded and melted the cicuit board.
He's going to make me a plug to plug into alarm lead on bike to fool it into thinking there is no alarm fitted.

Best of all, he's keeping my 2 fobs and not charging for the plug or the postage back......Happy Days :D

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Re: when you buy a bike......

Postby Paul » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:48 pm

Spotting a "Lennie's" is easy enough. If you take off the left hand/nearside body panel, you should see the air intake tube on the lower side of the petrol tank. The standard one is black ABS plastic, whereas a "Lennie's" is carbon fibre.

Another potential mod is a shortened paralever strut. That's the connecting rod underneath the drive shaft. It will either the standard pressed metal rod, or could be a blindingly obvious after market rod, or a GS rod, which looks almost identical to the standard R1100S piece but is slightly shorter.

Braided brake hoses are another popular upgrade.

Good luck spotting any other unexpected upgrades you might have on the bike.

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

stevesilver

Postby stevesilver » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:08 pm

Paul wrote:Spotting a "Lennie's" is easy enough. If you take off the left hand/nearside body panel, you should see the air intake tube on the lower side of the petrol tank. The standard one is black ABS plastic, whereas a "Lennie's" is carbon fibre.

Another potential mod is a shortened paralever strut. That's the connecting rod underneath the drive shaft. It will either the standard pressed metal rod, or could be a blindingly obvious after market rod, or a GS rod, which looks almost identical to the standard R1100S piece but is slightly shorter.

Braided brake hoses are another popular upgrade.

Good luck spotting any other unexpected upgrades you might have on the bike.

Cheers,

Paul

Hi mate, thanks again for the stickers,
Deffo havent got the lennies then :(
Got the braided lines, the seat height is pretty high, so I presume it has the strut.
I just wish it had another 50hp :evil:

JamesL

Postby JamesL » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:59 pm

I reckon it takes a year or two or two major services to sort out a fresh bike. On my RS (airhead) the most pernicious mod by a PO was to fit smaller jets in the carbs. Presumably in an attempt to improve fuel economy but all it did was to fry an exhaust valve and nearly wreck the engine... Thankfully it was running so badly we had the carbs off for a major clean and that's when my man spotted it, but it took a year of running it to get to that stage...

Hay Ewe^

Postby Hay Ewe^ » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:10 pm

Lennies cam sprockets are a worthwhile upgrade as well, a real sleeper mod
have them on my 1150GS and transformed the bike.
only had my 11S a short while have havent got rougn to fitting them yet

metropolis2k

Postby metropolis2k » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:07 am

In terms of the chip, while you're poking around the alarm have a look at the unit the motronic chip sits in. It's sealed around the edges with silicon normally, which needs cutting when replacing the chip. If your unit isn't sealed you will almost certainly have a different chip.
2000 BMW R1150GS
2004 BMW R1100SS Boxer Cup Replica
2003 Yamaha R6 (trackday bike)

stevesilver

Postby stevesilver » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:28 am

metropolis2k wrote:In terms of the chip, while you're poking around the alarm have a look at the unit the motronic chip sits in. It's sealed around the edges with silicon normally, which needs cutting when replacing the chip. If your unit isn't sealed you will almost certainly have a different chip.

That's a top tip. If I can find it I will deffo check that out
Cheers

Al

Postby Al » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:59 am

Another mod was fitting GS air intake tubes, they are longer and overlap each other in the air box, supposed to increase mid range, if you find a small black wire or a longer wire attached to a probe fixed to the back socket on the air box, this is an accelerator plug, kids the ecu the temp is lower so it adds more fuel to smooth out some of the lumpiness across the rev range.
I had, lasers +chip, lennie induct pipe, GS tubes, accelerator plug and a K&N filter on my old bike that Gerry B now has and he says that it pulls far better than his standard 1100s, as an ex racer he would probably know what he is talking about :D

Al.

P.S if you have the sport model it is higher as it has different shocks fitted
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:52 pm

stevesilver wrote:
Paul wrote:l

As suggested you can tweak the valve timing with different cam chain sprockets but all it does is shift the power curve lower down the rev range.
Plenty have attempted to increase the power output of the 1100 and Gus on here even produced a lightweight bike but soon realised that the 1200 is the best way to go if outright power is wanted....

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

Hay Ewe^

Postby Hay Ewe^ » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:14 am

nab 301 wrote:
stevesilver wrote:
Paul wrote:l

As suggested you can tweak the valve timing with different cam chain sprockets but all it does is shift the power curve lower down the rev range.
Plenty have attempted to increase the power output of the 1100 and Gus on here even produced a lightweight bike but soon realised that the 1200 is the best way to go if outright power is wanted....

with Lennies Sprockets, yes, the power does come on sooner, but for my biggest enjoyment / improvement is it makes a bit smoother and the torque for overtaking is there.
different environment though, 1000km days in australia and 53 meter road trains where you need a good 300 meters, some times more if its dusty, to pass them.
I have plans for my 1100S other wise I would be putting lennies sprockets in it sooner

HarrisBikeNut

Postby HarrisBikeNut » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:31 pm

For what it's worth, I would -
- improve / optimise the handling for you the rider so you can use what you already have in the engine more, for longer. Better shocks, tyres and get the bike set up.
- IF appropriate, lose a few pounds by keeping off of the pies!
- IF budgets allow, Carbon or lightweight wheels make a massive difference. I fitted BST wheels to an RSV Aprilia and it made a huge difference.
Can anything in the bike be removed, lightened etc such as the battery etc..... Carbon bodywork?
Can you improve as a rider? Track day, advanced training....

Just my thoughts........
2003 Randy Mamola BCR
2004 K1200LT
2003 Multistrada 1000
CB500S (sold)
ZZR1100 project.
1995 K1100RS

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of fight in the dog!"

stevesilver

Postby stevesilver » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:24 pm

:D
HarrisBikeNut wrote:For what it's worth, I would -
- improve / optimise the handling for you the rider so you can use what you already have in the engine more, for longer. Better shocks, tyres and get the bike set up.
- IF appropriate, lose a few pounds by keeping off of the pies!
- IF budgets allow, Carbon or lightweight wheels make a massive difference. I fitted BST wheels to an RSV Aprilia and it made a huge difference.
Can anything in the bike be removed, lightened etc such as the battery etc..... Carbon bodywork?
Can you improve as a rider? Track day, advanced training....

Just my thoughts........

Cheeky sod
I bloody love pie, can't remove that from my life and obviously I'm a riding god

Cheeky sod, I love pie, and I'm a riding god

HarrisBikeNut

Postby HarrisBikeNut » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:53 pm

Sorry Steve, didn't realise... thought I was talking to a mere mortal..... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
2003 Randy Mamola BCR
2004 K1200LT
2003 Multistrada 1000
CB500S (sold)
ZZR1100 project.
1995 K1100RS

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of fight in the dog!"

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:30 pm

A helpful suggestion may be to consider removing the alarm completely and repairing the harness where it was piggy backed into. It may be more trouble than it is worth, flat battery, nuisance triggering etc. guaranteed to leave you stranded at some point. 1100 `s are not exactly high priority for thieves. I would never consider an aftermarket alarm and have removed them pronto from used bikes I have bought, They were crap when they came out and now that they are older they are even more crapper. Previous owners do some weirdo things to de value a bike by adding aftermarket kelp. Be honest what sounds more attractive, an old unmolested model or one that has had loads of faffing done to it? You could do worse than putting it back to standard if you see where I am coming from.

good luck with it, a very engaging experience when they are sweet.

Chris :)
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Return to “Boxertech”