no start after layup

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

yetanotherbm

no start after layup

Postby yetanotherbm » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:56 pm

Hi all.
Got the S out after 4mths in the garage on a battery tender. Wheeled it out, went to start, but no luck. Would turn over but not fire. Checked kill switch etc - nothing amiss. WD40'd plugs and injectors, still nothing. In the end, i had to leave it and go out on my cruiser. Was fine when left. I'm sure I'm missing something simple (just like me!). Any one got any ideas?
Thanx ian

gus

Postby gus » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:12 pm

First job is to check you have a spark when turning over the engine.If you have next step is to make sure petrol/air mix is getting through.Could be old shitty petrol which has clogged up injectors.Should be OK though really at 4 months.But you never know!Is the fuel pump running?Checked fuses etc etc..
gus

Boxadog 2000

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:55 pm

Unleaded fuel can go off in as little as 2 weeks, if there is not too much in the tank fill it up with new fresh fuel

Skint

Postby Skint » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:18 am

Try checking the battery output with a volt meter, battery tenders are not always what they seem. Also make sure that the poles are uber clean when fitting the battery, use wire wool to clean them and ensure a good connection. As I have found in the past check all the cheap bits first then worry.

Ooh yer forgot, is the side stand down etc etc as there is a combo where the engine turns but no spark allowed so no startee
When can the Highway agency lay softer road coverings??

Now rides a mangled wreck... Ho Hum back to the K100

oyster

Postby oyster » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:28 pm

Fuel. Undo feed line near right injector, let old out. Use brass brush on plugs, check gap. Or better, fit new ones. Add injector cleaner.
Oyster. 1999 R1100S. Almost original.

a-jay26

Same as me

Postby a-jay26 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:02 pm

I had exactly the same problem... I charged the battery and check the HT leads with a spare plug (couldn't get the originals out) and all was ok. Fuel had been in there for a few months but was still ok. Whilst pressing the starter, twist open the throttle a couple of times....don't hold it open but flick it open a few times. Mine started to cough a couple of times..... jumped it of the car as battery was going flat (car was running).... Fired it up again using flick of the throttle..... and bang...away she went... loads of soot out the exhaust but she was running. Left on the choke for a while and then she started up again on her own without touching the throttle.

Push starting is a complete waste of time by the way!!

Give it a go before taking it too bits.

Andy
Andy Stewart

May the Force be somewhere!

Return to “Boxertech”