Stale fuel

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

John Coles

Stale fuel

Postby John Coles » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:18 pm

So the bike that will not sell (not for any real money anyhow) has not been ridden since 2012 and is on a SORN. Tried to start it and it turns over but will not fire up. I suspect, like I state in the subject line, the fuel has "gorn orf guv" So the question is can I just fuel up to get the whole tank back to a combustable mix or should I drain the tank before refilling? If it is best to drain is this an easy job and how do I dispose of the old fuel?

As an aside my new mode of transport in Switzerland comes with the recommendation to use v power fuel (100 RON there am I right in thinking 98 in UK?) I assume the low tech of our engines means good old 95 RON cannot be improved upon?

So the reason to restart is to get it commissioned and put in part ex for a Ducati 848 Evo; good buy? THE RWB BCR is going to take so much time to appreciate, if at all, and since breaking my wrist I feel I need a lighter bike. Was looking for a Aprilia Nera but rocking horse comes to mind. I think the Evo is quite a light bike and may also eventually appreciate also I know the original Triumph 675 is quite light and nimble also any others I could/should consider?
Serendipity?... it just happens :shock:

boxerscott

Re: Stale fuel

Postby boxerscott » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:06 pm

Hi John, I have had an Evo. Fraid to say if your BCR is troublesome on wrists, the evo will be no better, in fact it is more racer focussed than the bcr.

As an investment, no way, It is generally the bigger brother R models. Gorgeous bike though. I have had one. High maintenance. If you must then buy low mileage, unmolested (Standard) and full dealer history, that will minimise your losses when you come to sell it.

A Gixxer 750 is more road and rider friendly you can buy a brand new 17 plate one less than what some dealers and misguided owners are asking for a latter 13 plate evo.

The current 750 is the end of the line for the Robust 4 cylinder unit. Worth a look at if you are considering a middleweight. check out the reviews and group tests.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:51 pm

John Coles wrote: So the question is can I just fuel up to get the whole tank back to a combustable mix or should I drain the tank before refilling? If it is best to drain is this an easy job and how do I dispose of the old fuel?

?

Depending how much petrol is in the tank you may be able to top up . IF not and it's an 11S I guess the (rubber) link pipe at the back of the tank should allow you to drain enough. I haven't done this myself though , you may have to remove one side panel. Hopefully the tank/ fuel system doesn't look like this F650 carb bowl I was working on for a friend a while back .... It had been lying up in a driveway for two years . Since then I try to add fuel stabilizer if planning on mothballing any of my bikes. I'm not sure where you can dispose of stale fuel , probably one for the local authority in your area?
ImageSAM_0553 (2) by Nigel Burgess, on Flickr

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:57 pm

YUK! thought that was the remains of an Indian take away. It`s alive for sure.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

Al

Postby Al » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:14 pm

Definitely not having an Indian in your neck of the woods Chris, I'll stick to deep fried jock pies!! John, I would put the old petrol in the car a gallon at a time, assuming you don't drive a diesel :D

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:53 pm

Al, you must be from Yorkshire?

Chris
Fiat Panda.

Al

Postby Al » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:33 am

No chance Chris, I'm a carrot cruncher from the fens me!!

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

Return to “Boxertech”