Oil changes

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Jeff Highland

Re: Oil changes

Postby Jeff Highland » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:04 pm

Herb wrote:When it comes to oil changes, I do something quite radical. I read the manual and use the spec / grade (though not necessarily the brand) recommended by the manufacturer after thousands of hours of testing and development. Do this and you won't go far wrong.

Alternately you could ask the opinion of random people on the internet. I can see why it makes sense to trust the opinion of an accountant or a truck driver based on a sample size of one bike, rather than the people who developed and manufactured the bike in the first place!

Can't argue with looking at the manual,
Except that BMW recommendations for gearbox and final drive oil went from GL5 90 grade to 75W90 at some stage post production and as I recall the quantity in the final drive was reduced.

Herb

Postby Herb » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:21 am

Jeff Highland wrote:
Herb wrote:When it comes to oil changes, I do something quite radical. I read the manual and use the spec / grade (though not necessarily the brand) recommended by the manufacturer after thousands of hours of testing and development. Do this and you won't go far wrong.

Alternately you could ask the opinion of random people on the internet. I can see why it makes sense to trust the opinion of an accountant or a truck driver based on a sample size of one bike, rather than the people who developed and manufactured the bike in the first place!

Can't argue with looking at the manual,
Except that BMW recommendations for gearbox and final drive oil went from GL5 90 grade to 75W90 at some stage post production and as I recall the quantity in the final drive was reduced.

In which case call the dealer and find out the latest recommendation. I ask my dealer to print out the relevant pages from the service manual, which they have always been happy to do.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

adam

Postby adam » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:39 am

Oil and tyre threads are banned on the Buell Forum that I moderate on :lol: . Just bear in mind that oil does a lot more than just lubricate.

Return to “Boxertech”