Oil changes

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Steve1966

Oil changes

Postby Steve1966 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:38 am

It's probably on here somewhere in previous posts but had a quick search and didn't find all info.

Had the R1100S for a couple weeks now and all going well - still grinning! :D I want to do oil and filter changes all round (box is a bit clunky) as I don't know when last done (although the bike is pristine and was self-maintained by previous +1 owner - 1999, 13k miles).
Looking for feedback on best oils for engine/gearbox/rear wheel drive. :?:

Cheers guys,
Steve
'99 R1100S

stevesilver

Re: Oil changes

Postby stevesilver » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:57 am

This is the topic that starts the most arguments on forums, I will sit back and watch.........

Steve1966

Postby Steve1966 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:53 am

Oh dear :roll: I appear to have lit the blue touch-paper and stood well back! Apologies in advance.......!
Steve
'99 R1100S

stevesilver

Postby stevesilver » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:16 am

No, its fun, just wait......... :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Going back to what to use, gearbox and final drive I used a branded oil from halfords(can't remember which one)
Engine oil I'm about to change with one that I have left from changing my diesel vans oil.
Must say am only using that as I have a problem with my sight glass(in another thread somewhere on here).

The oil change is a bit overdue and it wont be in there long as when sight glass sorted will put some "branded" stuff in.

Anyhow, off we go boys and girls let the argument begin.......

Mitch1100

Postby Mitch1100 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:57 pm

Fun will start when you start pulling tupperware off for the first time to change air filter :roll: :wink:
2009 HP2 Sport...sold
2006 R1200s with yellow rim tape
2008 Ducati Monster S4RS Tricolore..sold
2004 R1100s BoxerCup Replika..sold
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318/600

Herb

Postby Herb » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:11 am

When it comes to oil changes, I do something quite radical. I read the manual and use the spec / grade (though not necessarily the brand) recommended by the manufacturer after thousands of hours of testing and development. Do this and you won't go far wrong.

Alternately you could ask the opinion of random people on the internet. I can see why it makes sense to trust the opinion of an accountant or a truck driver based on a sample size of one bike, rather than the people who developed and manufactured the bike in the first place!
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

stevesilver

Postby stevesilver » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:42 am

Herb wrote:When it comes to oil changes, I do something quite radical. I read the manual and use the spec / grade (though not necessarily the brand) recommended by the manufacturer after thousands of hours of testing and development. Do this and you won't go far wrong.

Alternately you could ask the opinion of random people on the internet. I can see why it makes sense to trust the opinion of an accountant or a truck driver based on a sample size of one bike, rather than the people who developed and manufactured the bike in the first place!

Herb, some say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.....

I on the other hand think its ducking hilarious........

Herb

Postby Herb » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:00 am

stevesilver wrote:
Herb wrote:When it comes to oil changes, I do something quite radical. I read the manual and use the spec / grade (though not necessarily the brand) recommended by the manufacturer after thousands of hours of testing and development. Do this and you won't go far wrong.

Herb, some say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.....

I on the other hand think its ducking hilarious........

Consider this post as my application for the Boxertrix 'resident troll' seeing as the post is currently vacant.
********Jim********

2006 'Colgate' R1200s

Steve1966

Postby Steve1966 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:58 am

thanks for the insight Herb, never though of that - oh, hang on.....

I was more asking for experienced feedback from the group as to brand preferences and why. :lol:
Steve
'99 R1100S

stevesilver

Postby stevesilver » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:05 am

Steve1966 wrote:thanks for the insight Herb, never though of that - oh, hang on.....

I was more asking for experienced feedback from the group as to brand preferences and why. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

and so it begins.........

Herb

Postby Herb » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:07 am

Steve1966 wrote:thanks for the insight Herb, never though of that - oh, hang on.....

I personally used to use Castrol in my boxer as that was the brand BMW used to recommend. Used to wait for a good offer on OPIE (not forgetting to get my boxertrix forum discount) and get engine, final drive, gearbox oil (same oil in FD and gearbox on the 1200) and oil filter in one order.

I personally stick with Branded oils, but anything that meets the spec and grade will be fine.
********Jim********

2006 'Colgate' R1200s

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:19 pm

I use Eurol products because they're available to me locally and the handy oil advisor lists the recommended oils . I currently use synthetics in engine and transmission.
http://www.eurol.com/en/37-products/54-oil-advisor.html

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:31 pm

Wot he sed !!
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Steve1966

Postby Steve1966 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:11 am

Thanks Nigel - that is very useful.... :)
Steve
'99 R1100S

oppy

Postby oppy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:43 pm

Halfrauds classic engine oil, it comes in a proper green oil can and is ideal for Boxer engines ( mines a 2001 1150)

in my 'umble opinion
:bigsmurf:
If a hammer wont fix it, it's electrical :roll:

Return to “Boxertech”