Replacing heated grip rubbers

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Grip Fast

Replacing heated grip rubbers

Postby Grip Fast » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:29 pm

The heated grips on my R12S are really toasty, much warmer than the Triumph ones on the Tiger. Even on half volume, they are plenty warm for me. But the rubber is getting badly worn and perished. I've watched a YouTube video of a guy cutting the old rubber off his GS and putting on Oxford grips, bought from Halfords, but the Oxfords didn't look great.

Has anyone on here replaced just the rubber grips, (keeping the old heaters), and any recommendations for what I should get?

Cheers.

Justcruising

Re: Replacing heated grip rubbers

Postby Justcruising » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:05 pm

I've grown to really like 'Grip Puppies' and have fitted them straight over the top of the existing OEM grip on all my R12 incl. R12S. See http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MOTORBIKE-AND-SCOOTER-HANDLE-BAR-GRIP-PUPPIES-/182214766464?epid=0&hash=item2a6cd8af80:g:MXsAAOSw0e9U1OEY
Heating still works fine though them.
2006 R1200S (Magma-Red/titan-silver) - Michelin PR4s, Akrapovic slip-on silencer, Ohlin suspension, Ilmberger Carbon hugger & Carbon valve-covers, Corbin seat.

2010 R1200R
2004 R1200C Montauk

GerryB

Postby GerryB » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:28 am

Grip puppies work fine .

I got some on the bike I bought from Al.

Personally I've removed them , years and years of Off Road racing , i prefer thinner grips .

However , the standard BMW size is ok for me .

I did buy a set of heated sleeves to go over standard mx type grips , use a battery and 3 settings .
On hot , they were good for about 4 hours, 2 batteries supplied .
The sleeve has an elastic panel , and will slip over the standard non heated BMW grips , as I discovered to my joy last winter .
Old man ... now .
Ex Off Road & Enduro Rider...

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:56 am

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm leaning towards replacing the rubber, rather than puting a sleeve over the old tacky ones.

I'm thinking about getting these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacement-r ... 64555#rwid

Anyone tried them?

Al

Postby Al » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:56 am

Try this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WERl7PAKrrE
Edit, there is also a video for 1200gs rubber grip replacement on links down the r/hand side of page, hope this helps.
Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

popsky

Postby popsky » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:11 pm

Not had to replace mine yet but these are on Motorworks site Grip Fast

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop ... 5_35_OA_60
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:20 pm

Thanks for the video link, Al. I found one that wasn't very good and one that sounded Polish to me, so no help, but that one convinced me it's the way to go.

The grips on the Motorworks site look like what I want, popsky. So I'm going for new rubbers.

Cheers.

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:37 pm

The Rubber grips that Popsky pointed out are just that--Rubber grips. As far as I know the std BMW heated grip has the heating element built into the grip, Hence the prices shown lower down the Motorworks page (£180ish for a pair!!!) When the heating elements started to show through on the grips on my 12s I just put grip puppies on and live with the fact that it takes slightly longer to feel the heat coming through.

Regards Peter

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:48 pm

herrman wrote:The Rubber grips that Popsky pointed out are just that--Rubber grips. As far as I know the std BMW heated grip has the heating element built into the grip, Hence the prices shown lower down the Motorworks page (£180ish for a pair!!!) When the heating elements started to show through on the grips on my 12s I just put grip puppies on and live with the fact that it takes slightly longer to feel the heat coming through.

Regards Peter

Yes, the idea is that I carefully cut the rubber grips off, without damaging the heating elements, and fit these new rubber grips. They are made to go over the old heating elements (shown if you click on the enlarge image option). So it is what I'm looking for.

Though it sounds like mine are not too bad after all, the heating elements are not showing through yet (that's proper worn out) :)

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:11 am

I'm sure there was a video on this site just replacing the rubbers - I think Dai Whiskers actually repaired a damaged heating element as well
Last edited by dave the german on Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Return to “Boxertech”