Choking

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Dids

Choking

Postby Dids » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:55 pm

Just recently the fast idle lever has been misbehaving on my R1100S.
If I use it, the curved metal tube it runs through on the left grip becomes dislocated and the the revs rise, way more than they used to.
If I fiddle about with the lever & metal tube then it settles down.

A problem with a sticking cable maybe?

I've read that replacing cables on the R1100S can be a BIG job........................ :(

Just wondered if there's an easy fix?

Cheers

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Re: Choking

Postby Paul » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:14 am

Hi Dids,

I'd suggest a quick squirt of WD40 into the cable would be a good starting point.

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Dids

Postby Dids » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:00 am

Thanks Paul.

I did think of WD40, but I read somewhere that the cables are Teflon coated and that regular lubricants can break down the Teflon and do more harm than good.

Wonder if WD40 Teflon friendly.........?

SP250

Postby SP250 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:04 am

WD 40 eventually dries out and is stickier than the original problem
Use a proper cable oiler and light grade engine oil or proper spray can cable oil.
John M

big rob

Postby big rob » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:31 pm

The fast idle lever is an extra the 1100S can do without, haven't used the lever on our bikes for years.
Thumb the starter with your left hand and operate the throttle with right hand to achieve a fast idle, a very easy fix indeed :)
Cheers,
Rob

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:50 pm

All of the above especially the last reply , otherwise it's tank off to access the cable splitter . Combine an investigation with a routine fuel filter replacement in the future ,i'm sure you'll manage without it.

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

Dids

Postby Dids » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:03 pm

Thanks for all the tips :D

I've learned a couple of things here................

Firstly, I also have an R1150RS and have always needed to use the fast idle lever - it needs it for the first few minutes, otherwise it's very likely to stall on me.
But it turns out that it isn't the case for the R1100S - as you said Rob, the R1100S just needs a few blips of the throttle and then it idles OK.
I just assumed it would need the fast idle lever like the R1150RS does.
Think the reason might be that while my R1150RS is law abidingly tuned to meet the Euro 2 emissions regulations, my R1100S has been de-catted and fitted with some replacement fuelling chip. Result is a better running engine that apparently doesn't need that fast idle lever.

The other thing I learned is that the R1100S (and probably the R1150RS) has a fuel filter..... which needs to be changed........ :-?
Didn't notice it in the maintenance schedules.
Sounds like a pain to replace - wonder if I can get away with it for a while on a 32,000 mile bike?

Hay Ewe^

Postby Hay Ewe^ » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:00 pm

replacing the fuel filter - thing is you dont know unif it needed replaceing unless you open up the and check the filter medium of the off coming item.
And if you do that, cutting the filter open with a hack saw contaminates the filter, so you need to use a proper filter opening, or a large pipe cutter.

When was the last time you replaced the fuel filter on your car?
I think its a good thing to have the filter, but really wonder if its needed, particuly on a road bike. On my GS where there is suspicioun where dirty fuel may be added form a jerry can out in the bush, but on a road bike europe?

Some people add in remote fuel filters outside of the fuel tank - quite a few threads about is on ADV Rider and UKGSer

Return to “Boxertech”