New tyre time

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

hellboyrich

New tyre time

Postby hellboyrich » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:51 pm

Hello to all

Haven’t posted for a long time but still a passionate 1200s owner :D

Time for new tyres the bike only sees summer runs and with no quarter given your respected views please.

Thanks rich
hellboyrich

stevesilver

Re: New tyre time

Postby stevesilver » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:01 pm

I know its not a big "name" but got fantastic deal on a pair of maxxis on my 1100S

Have done about 1500 miles on them, am very impressed as they cost me £180 the pair inc fitting etc and i got £50 in vouchers back too.

Will deffo get them again.

Have blasted down lanes and blasted down motorways on them. Also got caught in massive downpour and like I say, for me, cant fault them.

Years ago a tyre fitter told me that most of the differences that people think they have with tyres is in their heads

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:40 pm

I will second that , I put a Front maxxis supermax on to replace a Pirelli Diablo Super Corsa. Could not tell the difference. Both were round and black too! My wallet did not take a hammering either. Me like.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:25 am

Chris Walker advocates the Maxxis and even advertises them in his dealership with a video of him riding with them.
I know it all about business but I don't think he will risk his reputation on dodgy tyres.
10 KTM RC8

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:14 pm

My R1200S had Maxxis fitted when I bought it, and they were absolutely fine for me. When they wore out (I can find the mileage the Maxxis did), I replaced them with PR2s, which again kept me upright and seemed to do a good job. I had fitted PR2s to the Aprilia Falco I had before the R12S, so felt confident in Michelin's.

I was having handling issues and my local BMW fixer (Ian Joyce at Grendon) recommended I replace the PR4s with Bridgestone T30 EVOs. Wow! What an improvement - but caution - I usually think "Wow!", when I fit new tyres. I recently improved further the handling by resetting the Ohlins suspension back to BMW recommendations.

So, for me, nowt wrong with the Maxxis - absolutely fine. I am liking the T30s I have on now - but they cost a bob or two.

EDIT: The Maxxis did 6,555* miles before I replaced them with PR2s (not PR4s as I first thought), and they did 9,850 before being persuaded to change to T30 EVOs - the PR2s didn't look bad to me, but I was persuaded they were past their best (I think, "sh1te", was the technical term he used.

* I believe the Maxxis were nearly new when I bought the R12S

ianbcr

Postby ianbcr » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:00 pm

Grip fast, could be the old owner of your bike thought he would put a cheaper set of tyres on to sell the bike not realising how good the maxxis were.
Your born with a certain amout of heart beats, Dont waste them on exersise. [smilie=rooster.gif]

04 boxer cup rep. Gone but not forgoten
99 tlr1000 (V twin) tricked.
Indian Roadmaster Elite
Mercedes EQC 400

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:52 pm

ianbcr wrote:Grip fast, could be the old owner of your bike thought he would put a cheaper set of tyres on to sell the bike not realising how good the maxxis were.

Probably. I might too. :)

metropolis2k

Postby metropolis2k » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:05 pm

I have the Maxxis Supermax on my track bike and they're decent. I've been told the reason they're cheap is they can't handle the number of heat cycles compared to bigger brands so they may go off sooner.

By Damoace's accounts our beemers would benefit from something a bit stiffer than the Maxxis tyres. On the Boxer Cup I've got Bridgestone S21s and they are absolutely brilliant. Again I've used them on track mainly (including a waterlogged Cadwell) and can't praise them highly enough.
2000 BMW R1150GS
2004 BMW R1100SS Boxer Cup Replica
2003 Yamaha R6 (trackday bike)

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:09 pm

M&P doing Maxxis for £99 a pair this weekend chaps
https://www.mandp.co.uk/featured-produc ... 8807597dee
10 KTM RC8

stevesilver

Postby stevesilver » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:17 pm

Humbug wrote:M&P doing Maxxis for £99 a pair this weekend chaps
https://www.mandp.co.uk/featured-produc ... 8807597dee

Bloody hell, gonna buy a few of them......that's a proper bargain

Mitch1100

Postby Mitch1100 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:55 am

I'm impressed with the Dunlop Sportmax Alpha-13z on my HP2 S having always run Michelin.
2009 HP2 Sport...sold
2006 R1200s with yellow rim tape
2008 Ducati Monster S4RS Tricolore..sold
2004 R1100s BoxerCup Replika..sold
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318/600

hellboyrich

Postby hellboyrich » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:23 am

After lots of looking about and to much reading :?

Went for a pair of metzlers RR got a good price I have started to strip bike down and before the new tyres go on going to get the wheels refurbished

Question

Have now removed discs what does the site recomend on disc bolts please are stainless any good or should I get the Bmw genuine ? As I am right in thinking these must be replaced. :D

Thanks guys
hellboyrich

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:17 am

I think BMW only recommend new disc bolts as they come with threadlock pre-applied ('microencapsulated', as they call it!). I can't see anything wrong with thoroughly cleaning the old bolts, making sure all the old stuff is removed, and then re-using after applying a small amount of the correct locking compound. They're not torqued to a ridiculously high figure, and they're not 'stretch' bolts. If the bolt heads are manky, you can clean them up with a Dremel and wire brush or similar, and then apply some wheel lacquer to them (not in the Torx recess though!) - I did mine like that, they still look like new a few years down the line. :)

Regarding stainless, you'll get opposing views! I believe more than a few have used them and are still here to tell us about it.....others will say you'll be signing your death warrant! :D

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

kfrogzx7

Postby kfrogzx7 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:04 pm

Expensive I know, but I've had Titanium disc bolts on my several of my bikes for years now and I'm still here too !!!
They look beyond lovely and are unsprung weight saving so you "double" your "perceived / imagined" performance gain :)
Check ProBolt, I'd recommend them.
Simon.
K100rs, R1100s, R1150rs, R1200st, K1300s

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:36 pm

milleplod wrote:I think BMW only recommend new disc bolts as they come with threadlock pre-applied ('microencapsulated', as they call it!). I can't see anything wrong with thoroughly cleaning the old bolts, making sure all the old stuff is removed, and then re-using after applying a small amount of the correct locking compound. They're not torqued to a ridiculously high figure, and they're not 'stretch' bolts. If the bolt heads are manky, you can clean them up with a Dremel and wire brush or similar, and then apply some wheel lacquer to them (not in the Torx recess though!) - I did mine like that, they still look like new a few years down the line. :)

Regarding stainless, you'll get opposing views! I believe more than a few have used them and are still here to tell us about it.....others will say you'll be signing your death warrant! :D

Pete
Good advice. the stock bmw disc bolts are far superior to any aftermarket ss stuff. I changed mine for ss when everyone was doing stupid stuff back in the day, questioned my decision to have shiny bright stuff almost immediately when fitting them. The bmw disc bolts may not look sexy and may have more mass than titanium but ffs it`s a boxer not a racing snake!

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Return to “Boxertech”