Tachometer not smooth anymore

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

XSrider

Tachometer not smooth anymore

Postby XSrider » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:26 pm

Hi folks,
My first post over here. Proud owner of a ‘98 R1100S black beauty :D
I bought it recently with 47k kms on it, and I’ve been doing some maintenance on it myself.
Most have gone fine but I removed the tachometer to check some lights (only to realise it was not needed) and it’s neer been the same.
Instead of a full removal (which I know now how to do), I did a needle+shaft+front plate removal.
I was very careful but, after remounting it, the needle is not running smooth anymore, and when powering off it doesn’t go to 0 unless you put the contact on again. Not 100% sure it’s accurately indicating the current RPMs... though the most troublesome symptoms seem to be the other two.
I’ve tried several solutions from forums, even applying some engine oil. Before I go finding another one, does any of you have any useful advise to try?... (besides not doing it again)

Thx, cheers,
XSrider

Hay Ewe^

Re: Tachometer not smooth anymore

Postby Hay Ewe^ » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:08 am

dunno much but the tacho (RPM Indicator) receive its signal from the HES system.
break down of the wiring in the HES system can affect the RPM needle.

Doesnt sound as though its related, but could be.

XSrider

Re: Tachometer not smooth anymore

Postby XSrider » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:41 pm

I'm sure it's because of my tweaking with the tacho (yes, the RPM one) as it was working fine till I tore it apart for checking a light. I dismounted the needle WITH the shaft that connects it with the tacho, I though I had done it properly and carefully, but maybe not enough.

It now doesn't runs smooth. With switch off, if you move it manually, it is not as responsive as it was before and not as the velocimeter. After riding, when you kill the engine, the needle stops roughly below 1K RPM and I've to turn the key to the ON position for the needle to reposition to 0 RPM, so I guess it has not really offset but it is just that it doesn't have the same "free-play" it had before :cry: :cry: :cry:

Return to “Boxertech”