R1100S Integral ABS/Servo query

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Daimac

R1100S Integral ABS/Servo query

Postby Daimac » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:34 pm

Had the R1100S a year now, having been using a K bike for the previous 10 years or so, and its really nice to get back to twin cylinder motorcycling.
Thanks for the forum - it’s very useful with lots of knowledgable people having contributed over the years (and some not so ...) - thanks.
Anyway, there are things to do before the spring which includes a service and a new back tyre; I’m not a mechanic but fairly technically minded having done most service and repair jobs on my airhead and K bikes for the past 30 odd years.
Prior to my last/late autumn run, I decided to treat the R1100S to a wash and coat of Scottoiler FS365; this last run was a work related run of 70 miles each way and involved maximum dual carriageway speeds as well as some town driving on arrival. I had followed Dellboy’s Garage Youtube method for applying the FS365, and all seemed well - loved the smell!
No problems on startup, all ‘check lights’ operated and extinguished as they should and the 70 mile outward run, which included a fuel stop (something I’m becoming accustomed to on the R1100S!) went fine.
However, on re-starting at my destination after a couple of hours, and on the run to my 2nd visit of the day, the bike developed an ABS fault (4 times per second blink ABS light plus general light on) and the bike went into ‘residual’ braking mode with only the front brake available (It’s a 2005 model with integral ABS/Servo); as I was aware that I had a front brake, I carried on the 15 miles or so to my 2nd destination.
Switching off and restarting the bike seemed to clear the fault, but only temporarily, as after a few miles of riding, the same fault recurred. Consequently, the 70 mile ride home had to be undertaken with front brake only.
Conclusions that I’d come to during the afternoon was:
1. It could be low voltage/battery issue (bike has heated grips/constant on lights etc) - but battery is just 12 months old genuine BMW part and the bike is hooked up in the garage to an optimiser/charger?
2. It could be that brake fluid level is low in the integral unit - how do you check?
3. It could be that the electrics (which I’ve found not to be up to the usual German standard and indeed to consist of crumbling outer sheathing) may have created/contributed to a false reading, possibly in the ‘interesting’ rear light set up?
4. Since, the bike has been housed back in the garage and I’m assuming that the FS365 has dried out, and also it’s been hooked up back to the optimiser; I’ve not had a chance to ‘run the bike’, but the ABS sequence lights all seem to be performing ok on static start up.

I guess that I know what I need to do, in that the ABS Codes can be read and interpreted by a BMW main dealer, which would identify fairly quickly the fault, but that’s going to have to be a post-Xmas expense now.

I realise that there are a number of variables at play, but wondered if anyone had experienced any ‘intermittent’ faults with the integral ABS/Servo (I’ve read all the negative stuff about this system, but I quite like it now that I’ve become used to it), particularly in damp/wet conditions or having (winter) treated the bike with a ‘penetrating’ treatment such as WD40 or FS365?
Thanks.
D.

BMW R1100S - Grey
BMW R100RS - Blue/Silver
BMW K1100RS - Red/No longer mine
BMW K100RT - Blue/ No longer mine
BMW R60/7S Black/Gold/ No longer mine

Justcruising

Re: R1100S Integral ABS/Servo query

Postby Justcruising » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:26 pm

Was the General warning light on or flashing alternatively with the ABS warning light at 4hz?

The fluid level can be checked at the ABS regulator (following removal of the fuel tank to gain access) by simply removing the fluid reservoir caps for the front & rear wheel circuits with an 8mm Allen key & confirming the fluid is visible at the white plastic level marker. DOT 4 only!

I’d consider a complete fluid change if it hasn’t being done recently. Should be done periodically, every 2y the wheel cuircuits from the ABS regulator, with complete fluid change every 4y. There’s a well documented procedure for this. I normally combine this with a thorough clean of the Calipers.
2006 R1200S (Magma-Red/titan-silver) - Michelin PR4s, Akrapovic slip-on silencer, Ohlin suspension, Ilmberger Carbon hugger & Carbon valve-covers, Corbin seat.

2010 R1200R
2004 R1200C Montauk

Daimac

Postby Daimac » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:38 am

Thanks Justcruising - agree re the route to take with changing the fluid - just never done it on this system before and a bit nervous about 'buggering' the servo or something. I'd become reasonably competent with fixing and servicing the ABS 1 on the K's, but this seems a whole new ball game!
If you have any useful pointers/links, I'd be grateful.
BTW, the general warning light was flashing as well.
D.
D.

BMW R1100S - Grey
BMW R100RS - Blue/Silver

big rob

Postby big rob » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:36 am

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-05-BMW- ... Swz~pZ-yqE

Unfortunately it's quite a common failure on the R1100S (see above advert for 4000 mile bike)
We have a 2003 R1100S on which the ABS unit failed, BMW wanted silly money for a replacement unit so our bike got an "ABSectomy"

Perhaps there are people out there who have the technical know-how on re-furbishing the units which could be a better option than riding a machine without ABS.

Good luck,
Rob :)

Justcruising

Postby Justcruising » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:48 am

On that basis, check the fluid level at the ABS regulator first.

Tried to attach the service procedures but the system would not accept pdf attachments :-(

However the following links should locate the best I've found for you:

1. I prefer this one. http://www.ukgser.com/technical/nick/Brake%20bleeding%20(All%20BMW%20EVO%20systems,%20'04-'07).pdf or this http://tinyurl.com/yd59xfq3. (NB: May require registering to access, see how you go!)

2. http://www.chromeheads.org/index.php?th ... kes.31664/

The funnell used to also be available through some stores, if required.
Last edited by Justcruising on Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
2006 R1200S (Magma-Red/titan-silver) - Michelin PR4s, Akrapovic slip-on silencer, Ohlin suspension, Ilmberger Carbon hugger & Carbon valve-covers, Corbin seat.

2010 R1200R
2004 R1200C Montauk

kfrogzx7

Postby kfrogzx7 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:20 pm

There are also numerous youtube vids of the procedure if you search there.
I'm just a wee bit sceptical about the fragility of the servo units and the frequency of failures.
It's very easy to buy into a "myth" about a fragile component that's admittedly expensive to replace if you spend too much time on owners forums. The fact that the servo also throws up a lot of error messages that are difficult to analyse ( but are often for relatively trivial problems ) feeds into the panic.
I'm certainly not saying that they don't fail or that when they do it isn't expensive and I certainly think assiduous maintenance is very necessary. I am saying however that it's well worth keeping calm and checking all the easy / cheap possibilities before doing a drastic abs-ectomy if you, like me, really like the braking system.
If of course you've acquired ( ie paid a premium for ) a bike with working iABS and then decide you'd prefer a non abs setup then fair enough remove it, to me that's a waste, but each to their own.
The fluid change procedure is not that arduous if tackled methodically.
Simon.
K100rs, R1100s, R1150rs, R1200st, K1300s

Daimac

Postby Daimac » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:06 pm

Thanks for the last replies and hope everyone had a good Xmas; the bike’s laid up at the moment (so am I - had a bad chest) whilst the roads are icy/salty.

I’m assuming that if the brake fluid level is low that it’s because of wear in the brake pads, and given the amount of work to get at the ABS regulator, that I might as well change the brake pads as well as the brake fluid and pop in a new fuel filter and perform an oil change etc as that is also due.

I’m going to take my time in doing these and will probably put the R100RS back on the road whilst I sort this out.

Thanks again and all the best for the New Year.
D.

BMW R1100S - Grey
BMW R100RS - Blue/Silver

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:50 am

Agree with the previous comments that ABsectomy is not a fix, but when you have had a model with abs and the warning lights start playing up intermittingly I can understand why owners convince themselves that it is a "FIX".

Good luck with that.

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Return to “Boxertech”