John Gemi Tuning Chip - my experience

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

bfisher

John Gemi Tuning Chip - my experience

Postby bfisher » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:42 pm

Trixters...

Thought i would share my experience of my upgrading from my standard chip to the 'John Gemi' tuning chip for the R1100S. For those not familiar with the chip, check out:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread ... uning-Chip
https://en-gb.facebook.com/bmwmotochip

I run a 99 with GS inlet tubes, Lenny inlet ducts with K&N filter, booster plug, decat/laser (single); this has largely been my default setup so can't compare to the standard build.

After securing an update of the Bosch Motronic on my 99 R11S @ a good price from ebay over the new year, I finally had the opportunity to put the John Gemi Stage 9 chip, an upgrade that has intrigued me for some time. Not going into the details of swapping out the Motronic unit or the chip itself, easy enough but still the usual cursing of pulling fuel tank off etc to get to it. The chip itself was easy to replace, as was motronic unit.

Starting up the bike was no problem, but first thing i noticed was a definite toning down of the boxers charismatic sound - much more muffled / quieter, not sure that was to my liking or expectation. Quick 'shake-down' before putting fairing back on, i also noticed the bike was a little rough on idle but more so on take off. No major issues, but trip to service stand & back again didn't give a huge amount of insight @ speeds less than 40 mile an hour but gear change was a bit cleaner.

Over last two weeks, done approx 1000 mile through both London traffic & M1 motorway speeds (yes, its not warm @ 7am on the M1 @ this time a year). My findings thus are:

- Idle is slow - i need to address this & after a fiddle with idle screws (the big brass ones), its slightly better but i now need a balance!
- Starting off is a different experience, sluggish if I am honest as if I have a choke on; still not sure if this is as much in my mind due to change in sound but can't help something isn't quite right here; need to investigate but slowing becoming normal too me.
- Much smoother gear change.
- Performance isn't necessarily obvious, but its definitely a little faster but i think it takes less rev's; i wouldn't say acceleration is noticeably enhanced but its definitely feels a little quicker - i sit on 80 with less rev's no doubt.
- i am no sure it's me being paranoid, but the fuel pump always seems to be running in the background - i think this is normal but if someone can confirm i would appreciate it.
- Fuel consumption improved - as much as 5-10%.

In summary, its an improvement but its also removed a little of the character i have grown up with over past couple of years. . . . That said, its slowly becoming the norm & i think its a step forward.

Next up is the rocket sprockets when i get some time to do it.

Brad

Boxered
Route Master

Re: John Gemi Tuning Chip - my experience

Postby Boxered » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:27 am

If you still have the booster plug installed then that would have an effect, the new chip should take over the need for that, so you may be over richening the fuel at low revs?
Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

bfisher

Postby bfisher » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:59 pm

@Boxered - that could very well be the problem, makes logical sense. Joy, get to practice accessing under the fuel tank again!

B

Al

Postby Al » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:47 pm

Isn't the booster plug just under the front of the seat? seem to recall mine was. I only used the booster plug on mine during the summer months, far too rich in temps below 12/14 degrees. My 1100s was similar spec to yours, GS tubes, lennies induct, laser full system + chip and K&N air filter

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:51 pm

bfisher wrote:Trixters...

- i am no sure it's me being paranoid, but the fuel pump always seems to be running in the background - i think this is normal but if someone can confirm i would appreciate it.
-

Brad

Yes , fuel pump always runs when engine is running / turning over .

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

KTM AL

Postby KTM AL » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:13 pm

This is interesting, as I have just removed my John's chip and installed a booster plug. I had a stage 10 chip and I think it was over fueling as any mate behind me complained of my bike smelling of unburnt fuel.
Just got a K&N and a Vanderline mid pipe and end cans.
Would be a good idea to stick it on a rolling road to test it ,but a lot of fafing about to test both systems.

bfisher

Postby bfisher » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:47 pm

@KTM AL: Are you targeting track setup? I was told by John not to go for a stage 10 for road use if I recall correctly...

B

bfisher

Postby bfisher » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:50 pm

@Al - oh how I wish that was the case ( I will pull seat off but I am sure I recall it being stuff in amongst the joys of inlet etc so not quite that accessible).

Al wrote:Isn't the booster plug just under the front of the seat? seem to recall mine was. I only used the booster plug on mine during the summer months, far too rich in temps below 12/14 degrees. My 1100s was similar spec to yours, GS tubes, lennies induct, laser full system + chip and K&N air filter

Al.

Sherrif

Postby Sherrif » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:23 am

KTM AL wrote:This is interesting, as I have just removed my John's chip and installed a booster plug. I had a stage 10 chip and I think it was over fueling as any mate behind me complained of my bike smelling of unburnt fuel.
Would be a good idea to stick it on a rolling road to test it ,but a lot of fafing about to test both systems.

Hi where did you find the vanderline end cans as I think may have to replace sooner than later :(
Growing old is compulsory
Growing up is not

KTM AL

Postby KTM AL » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:04 pm

bfisher wrote:@KTM AL: Are you targeting track setup? I was told by John not to go for a stage 10 for road use if I recall correctly...

B

The bike is used on the road. John sent me his new stage 10 going on the air filter and pipe

KTM AL

Postby KTM AL » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:07 pm

Sherrif wrote:
KTM AL wrote:This is interesting, as I have just removed my John's chip and installed a booster plug. I had a stage 10 chip and I think it was over fueling as any mate behind me complained of my bike smelling of unburnt fuel.

Hi where did you find the vanderline end cans as I think may have to replace sooner than later :(

I bought the cans second hand off of this site. I expect you could fit almost any after market set of cans on the mid pipe. Could get a deal on a second hand set off ebay.

Return to “Boxertech”