Fitting tracker to my R12S - need some electrics help

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

victorlaszlo

Fitting tracker to my R12S - need some electrics help

Postby victorlaszlo » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:32 am

Hi all,

Got a tracker when I was in China recently that so far (off the bike) seems super accurate and its app is working quite well indeed.

Installing it is dead simple; input is 9-90V and it has a built in battery that lasts for some days. It hooks up to the battery but has further 2 leads - one for ACC which I believe will turn off the tracking while you have the ignition on to avoid excessive alerts being sent and a further one called RELAY which I believe could operate a second circuit, block the starter or something.

Not, I was thinking that it should fit under the plastic centre strip over the tank which should give it a fairly good reception, but I need power in (always on) as well as connection to ACC.

Where can I take this without having cables drawn too far away? While it doesn't matter if the battery gets disconnected as it hsa an internal battery I wouldn't want to give away it has a tracker fitted to avoid potential thieves from finding it and removing it...

dave the german

Re: Fitting tracker to my R12S - need some electrics help

Postby dave the german » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:17 pm

possibly need some sort of can bus accessory lead - need to fool the charging socket. not much help I'm afraid but might be worth having a look at Nippy Norman's site and send them an enquiry. They do seem to stock various leads so might be worth a try
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

victorlaszlo

Postby victorlaszlo » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:36 pm

dave the german wrote:possibly need some sort of can bus accessory lead - need to fool the charging socket. not much help I'm afraid but might be worth having a look at Nippy Norman's site and send them an enquiry. They do seem to stock various leads so might be worth a try

I was just thinking of tapping into an always on lead (to the ignition perhaps) for charging and power out from the ignition when ON for the cut-off.

I have a connection scheme but the mobile site isn't working so can't upload it :(

Any reason why I couldn't tap into any positive lead?

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:08 pm

With the can bus system, I don't think it's quite that straight forward but as an example, if you plug an "ordinary" Optimate into the charging socket, it will switch off after 20 minutes (I think it's that long). I think the only way to use a permanently live feed without any problems, would be to use the positive from the battery which would make it easy to disable. Someone should be along with more electrical knowledge than me but I would send an e mail to Nippy Normans and see what the reply is
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

victorlaszlo

Postby victorlaszlo » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:40 pm

dave the german wrote:With the can bus system, I don't think it's quite that straight forward but as an example, if you plug an "ordinary" Optimate into the charging socket, it will switch off after 20 minutes (I think it's that long). I think the only way to use a permanently live feed without any problems, would be to use the positive from the battery which would make it easy to disable. Someone should be along with more electrical knowledge than me but I would send an e mail to Nippy Normans and see what the reply is

Anyone has an electric schedule, there must be a live feed coming off the battery somewhere near the rank. The acc on I could take from the fuel pump I reckon...

If the battery gets disconnected it doesn't matter as the tracker got a built in battery.

And there must be an always on positive feed to the ignition lock otherwise how could you turn on the ignition?

The GPS itself consumes in the region of mAh so drain is minimal

Neil178

Postby Neil178 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:43 pm

This is something I would be interested in fitting too. I hope you managed to solve your query. Of absolutely no help is the following advice on translation ...
http://www.dontevenreply.com/view.php?post=110

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:46 pm

I'm pretty sure there is a feed in the front of the fairing - I'm sure boxer posted something when I was enquiring about fitting a sat nav to my 12s
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:48 pm

search1200s sat nav and Boxered had indeed replied and there is a feed under left side fairing and it gives the link for the correct connector to use - I didn't read enough to see if it is a permanent live tho
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

victorlaszlo

Postby victorlaszlo » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:25 pm

dave the german wrote:search1200s sat nav and Boxered had indeed replied and there is a feed under left side fairing and it gives the link for the correct connector to use - I didn't read enough to see if it is a permanent live tho

I'll check that, for acc on I can use the fuel pump! Thanks!

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:29 pm

Keep us posted - be interested to see how you get on - modern electrics can be a nightmare
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:02 am

dave the german wrote:search1200s sat nav and Boxered had indeed replied and there is a feed under left side fairing and it gives the link for the correct connector to use - I didn't read enough to see if it is a permanent live tho

Yes there is a connector there to plug a device into the canbus system, but it is only live with the ignition on, IE my satnav knows as soon as I turn the ignition switch off and asks if I want to continue on its internal battery. So i'm not sure that it will serve your purpose.

HTH
Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:42 am

Good luck in finding a solution for your wiring problem. I'm sure there must be somebody on here who will come up with an answer you can use to solve your installation issues.

Based on my own level of electrical numptiness, I went with the MoniMoto solution, since it gives the same GPS tracking functionality without having to tap into the bike's wiring at all. Two cable ties is all it took to install. No help to you Victor, I understand, but may help others looking for a similar solution.

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Neil178

Postby Neil178 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:42 pm

Now that looks good Paul. I haven’t seen that one before.

dysondiver

Postby dysondiver » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:13 pm

if its got a battery internally fitted ,,, why not connect it to the canbus live terminal at the headstock , used for sat nav
if its nicked your bound to notice before the internal battery runs flat , and when your riding it will be charged uo. or do you leave the bike outside for days.
if its like a phone it will charge in an hour ,,, and be ok for the next few days .
put a better lock on the garage door for the rest of the time. and a ground anchor in the garage floor
its not a boxer , its a 180 degree v-twin

dysondiver

Postby dysondiver » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:18 pm

Pauls option looks very handy ,,,, tempted.
its not a boxer , its a 180 degree v-twin

Return to “Boxertech”