My R1100s has had an I-ABS-ectomy!

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

SteveWhite

My R1100s has had an I-ABS-ectomy!

Postby SteveWhite » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:10 pm

I've just ridden my 2001 R1100s back from Jim Hill Motorbike Services in Long Eaton (Jim and Walter) after they performed a full service and removed the I-ABS and Brake Servo lump of metal. (£500 in total to you sir! - This includes the £225 labour for the ABS-ectomy)).

The difference is amazing, even considering the old unit was faulty beforehand. The brakes now do exactly what I want them to do, when I want them to do it, which was handy today as the roads were absolute s**t with slush and ice. They were controllable and sensitve to my inputs, no grabby brakes now thank goodness.

So thanks to the guys on GS's that I got chatting to at one of the Ashby Folville bike nights last summer who told me about this workshop and their expertise with BMWs. All seems to be true. Thanks again guys.
Now I'm going out to wash off all the accumulated salt and road muck. Roll on dry roads please.

Steve.

boxerscott

Re: My R1100s has had an I-ABS-ectomy!

Postby boxerscott » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:00 pm

Seems ironic that someone once paid £500 for the abs life saver and now it goes faulty most people go out of their way not to repair it. Probably due to the prohibitive repair/replace costs. Or the fact that it was a shxte system in the first instance and not worth repairing I have had three bmw`s with abs and it is true that the systems have come a long long way from the original humongous lumps. Never had abs cut in on my bike and have no intention of doing it for the sake of science.

Good luck with your new reliable braking system.

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Return to “Boxertech”