R1100S & R1200S in chains

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Dids

R1100S & R1200S in chains

Postby Dids » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:57 pm

My R1100S and R1200S hang out together in my garage.
At the moment I have them locked together through the front wheels with some pretty low grade chain/ U locks.

I prefer to lock the bikes securely together rather than bother with fitting a ground anchor.

Thought I'd up my game regarding security.
What I'd like to do is lock them together with a quality 16mm chain - probably a Pragmasis Protector chain.
Attaching this chain to the R1200S is easy with an Anti-Pinch pin from Pragmasis - the pin pops through the hollow rear axle.

However I'm a bit stumped with trying to find a secure place to attach the chain to the R1100S.
I could thread the chain through a wheel, but wheels are easy to remove.....
Any ideas on a secure place to attach a chain to an R1100S?

Phil K

Re: R1100S & R1200S in chains

Postby Phil K » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:52 pm

I wait for the bike to cool, then pass the chain between the exhaust header and engine

Phil
R11s + Val Singleton Power filter - Lennies induct - Y Piece - Wilbers - PC111
1974 Honda CB750 1974 Triumph Trident T150 Oh and a GS-LC

Dids

Postby Dids » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:50 am

I wait for the bike to cool, then pass the chain between the exhaust header and engine

I'd thought about that, but wondered if the Tea Leaves might just cut through the exhaust header and carry the R1100S into their van??

An idea I've just had :idea: is to link the R1200S (with a Pragmasis Anti-Pinch pin through the rear hub) to the rear wheel of the R1100S.
I could use a length of Pragmasis 16 mm chain to link this to the rear wheel of the R1100S (maybe even loop it around the swing arm too?) and have the locking bolt side of the rear wheel as close as possible to that of the R1200S.
That way it would be difficult to remove the R1100S rear wheel as access to the securing bolts would be very limited.
The Pragmasis Anti-Pinch pin should keep the R1200S reasonably secure too.

I know that an angle grinder could still cut the chain.

But.....

Maybe this would be a reasonable deterrent?????

popsky

Postby popsky » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:36 pm

Hi Dids, not trying to be miserable but if they want it they’ll have it, don’t matter what you do. I always remembered a letter in Bike mag in the early 80’s. This chap had a Hardly a Davidson in London, it was “garaged” through a locked side gate down a flight of steps (toiok 4 blokes to carry it down) and in a locked basement room, oh and he had 2 Alsatian dogs. One morning went to the bike and it had gone.
Just chain them together with a good chain/lock combo, my advice would be don’t let any piece either chain or lock to be on the floor makes freezing and breaking more difficult.
I usually chain a front wheel to rear wheel (my wife’s F8r & my 12s) then a disc lock to the front bikes front disc and a disc lock through the rear bikes rear disc or sprocket depending on which bike is 2nd. I’m hopeful this would be a good enough deterrent for all but the most determined vermin thief.
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

Return to “Boxertech”