Granite grey paint

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

adam

Granite grey paint

Postby adam » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:06 am

I'm considering fitting a longer front mud guard to my Granite grey R1200rs but can only find them in black. Does anyone know of a similar colour that's easily available in a rattle can so I can give it a spray to match the bike? If not, a paint code will do and I can spray it with a gun. Thanks.

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Re: Granite grey paint

Postby Paul » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:00 pm

Hi Adam,

When I painted the decor panel on my Givi top box to match my (previously) granite grey R1200RS about a year ago, I sourced the paints from RS Paints. Details below:

1. 400ml Aerosol Granite Grey metallic Matt (38216) £16.50
2. 400ml Aerosol Satin Lacquer £11.50
3. 400ml Aerosol Plastic Primer £13.50
4. Shipping £7.50
5. VAT £9.80

TOTAL £58.80

Contact details for RS Paints:
Tel 01707 273219
sales@rsbikepaint.co.uk
http://www.rsbikepaint.com

An alternative to consider, instead of fitting a longer front mudguard, would be to fit an AvantGuard to the front of the engine, or one of any number of similar (but cheaper) alternative engine protector plates out there. Boxerscott managed to find cheaper alternative, if I remember correctly.

Hope this helps,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

adam

Postby adam » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:41 am

Thanks Paul, I spoke to RS yesterday and they said if I sent the original muddy to them, they could match it for free. This got me thinking, my local car body repair business has some kind of spectrometer thingie to match up old faded paint. They also said they could look at the original and then get a RAL code or mix me some paint. Being lazy, I'm inclined to let them do the job, as most of my painting efforts look like they've been done with a stick :lol:

Paul

Postby Paul » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:30 am

Hi Adam,

When I dealt with RS, I just told them then I had a granite grey BMW R1200RS, and the came up with the correct paint code. I didn’t have to post any bits off my bike to them. Ask them about the paint code I quoted in my first reply (38216).

Good luck,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

adam

Postby adam » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:14 pm

Thanks for that, I'll keep it in mind. However, the Pyramid mudguard fits perfectly and the gloss finish on the black actually looks fine - so I've decided not to paint it now :lol:

Paul

Postby Paul » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:54 am

Hi Adam,

Let me know how you get on with fitting it. The mudguard on the R1200RS is quite flimsy and I have heard other folks having problems fitting the fenda-extender type products.

adam

Postby adam » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:12 pm

It's a perfect fit, which in my experience, is unusual for aftermarket products. It also seems a bit stiffer than the original, so it doesn't tend to wobble about as much as the original with the extra weight of a fenda extenda. A very good product imo.

Return to “Boxertech”