Rough running R12S

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

dave the german

Re: Rough running R12S

Postby dave the german » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:45 pm

boxerscott wrote:Oh Ya Fooker!!

How many pallets of Bog rolls does that equate to?

Dave, helpful suggestion, get yerself on the welsh weekend and whipe ass on it!

Chris :wink:

Unfortunately cannot get the time off for the Welsh weekend. Now if there's another later in the year might manage that :wink:

They've said they'll do a good deal for me on a new GS too........Hmmmm :lol:
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

victorlaszlo

Postby victorlaszlo » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:17 pm

dave the german wrote:
Blackal wrote:Intriguing!

You’d have to think a dropped valve, which causes conrod damage - would make the bike unridable rather than ‘lumpy’

Bearing and ring seizure - from complete lubrication loss (with one side retaining a film?)

What did the workshop say, Dave?

Intriguing is the right word Al - I thought the problem was solved with changing a coil - smoothest tick over it had ever had - took it out and thought it was sorted, then fuel light came on and it really started running like a bag of $hite. Bit of a mystery really

They have some theories but nothing concrete

But how did you cause the damage to the engine?

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:31 pm

Sounds like - after getting the coils sorted - a run out on the bike produced the mechanical failure:

But - it isn’t clear how a valve and the con-rod has required renewal, without head damage. If the valve drops and wedges, you can bend the conrod, screw the piston, but would expect that the head would be irrecoverable too.

Loss of lubrication to the engine, but some film remains on Right hand side, while left side bottom end, rings and valve-gear are starved?

It would be interesting to hear what the mechanic who dismantled the engine thought - but perhaps all they do is strip down and look for what requires renewal, check lubrication - and reassemble.
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:45 pm

Ahoy Dave!

Sent you a PM, (but I understand you are having issues with that)

Let me know, and I’ll send it via Chris if necessary :D

Al

See if that works .....

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:45 pm

Blackal wrote: it isn’t clear how a valve and the con-rod has required renewal, without head damage. If the valve drops and wedges, you can bend the conrod, screw the piston, but would expect that the head would be irrecoverable too.

Aye, ... or it was dropped on its head, impact great enough to cause slight deformation to valves etc etc, and unwittingly a replacement head cover fitted? Bike seems ok but gets worse as the miles go by. Oil starvation?

Speculation not Fact.

Hope that`s the end of it Dave.

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:50 pm

boxerscott wrote:
Blackal wrote: it isn’t clear how a valve and the con-rod has required renewal, without head damage. If the valve drops and wedges, you can bend the conrod, screw the piston, but would expect that the head would be irrecoverable too.

Aye, ... or it was dropped on its head, impact great enough to cause slight deformation to valves etc etc, and unwittingly a replacement head cover fitted? Bike seems ok but gets worse as the miles go by. Oil starvation?

Speculation not Fact.

Hope that`s the end of it Dave.

Chris

I think you were dropped on your head, Chris................. :lol:

Don’t take it to a poll.......... :lol: :lol: :lol:

See if that works .....

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:34 pm

No, I won`t.

:(

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:40 am

victorlaszlo wrote:
dave the german wrote:
Blackal wrote:Intriguing!

You’d have to think a dropped valve, which causes conrod damage - would make the bike unridable rather than ‘lumpy’

Bearing and ring seizure - from complete lubrication loss (with one side retaining a film?)

What did the workshop say, Dave?

Intriguing is the right word Al - I thought the problem was solved with changing a coil - smoothest tick over it had ever had - took it out and thought it was sorted, then fuel light came on and it really started running like a bag of $hite. Bit of a mystery really

Lots of speculation but nothing concrete so just got to hope thats it sorted. Mechanic was a bit stumped as well. Lets hope I can just ride it now!! :lol: :lol:
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

victorlaszlo

Postby victorlaszlo » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:04 pm

dave the german wrote:
victorlaszlo wrote:
dave the german wrote:

Lots of speculation but nothing concrete so just got to hope thats it sorted. Mechanic was a bit stumped as well. Lets hope I can just ride it now!! :lol: :lol:

Are you sure they are completely honest? I can't see how a mechanic would go from "it's running a bit rough" to "it needs 2 new left hand side exhaust valves and guides, new big end shells for both sides, 2 new O2 sensors and more". How would you even diagnose that? How do you measure the exhaust valves to understand they are not opening/closing correctly???

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:39 pm

I'm sure they've been completely honest due to the fact that my mate is best mates with both the service manager and the mechanic and they've kept me in the loop at all stages, including sending pictures of each stage of the process, telling me at each critical stage what has been done and what would I like them to do. It started off with diagnostics, compression test/leak down test then head removal, conrods to an engineering workshop for measurement/deflection plus. The last ride I had on the bike it went from running ok where I thought I'd solved the problem to running like a complete bag of $hite in the space of 6 - 7 miles. I seemed to be chasing the problem around in circles to where I thought I'd got it right to then other symptoms appearing. It also shows why my mate and I couldn't get to the bottom of the fault with a GS911 - it was mechanical rather than electrical. The O2 sensors were not registering on the computer and when removed were black, the big end shells on both sides were replaced as the engine was stripped done and in the grand scheme of things were not expensive. The valves were removed and there is a visible deflection in the stems. It wasn't solved by purely diagnostics alone, there was a bit of old school spattering involved. I've been very impressed with the work and thoroughness in which it was carried out. I'm not revealing the final bill but I'm OK with it. There are some things which have left us all baffled but hopefully it's sorted now
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

victorlaszlo

Postby victorlaszlo » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:00 pm

dave the german wrote:I'm sure they've been completely honest due to the fact that my mate is best mates with both the service manager and the mechanic and they've kept me in the loop at all stages, including sending pictures of each stage of the process, telling me at each critical stage what has been done and what would I like them to do. It started off with diagnostics, compression test/leak down test then head removal, conrods to an engineering workshop for measurement/deflection plus. The last ride I had on the bike it went from running ok where I thought I'd solved the problem to running like a complete bag of $hite in the space of 6 - 7 miles. I seemed to be chasing the problem around in circles to where I thought I'd got it right to then other symptoms appearing. It also shows why my mate and I couldn't get to the bottom of the fault with a GS911 - it was mechanical rather than electrical. The O2 sensors were not registering on the computer and when removed were black, the big end shells on both sides were replaced as the engine was stripped done and in the grand scheme of things were not expensive. The valves were removed and there is a visible deflection in the stems. It wasn't solved by purely diagnostics alone, there was a bit of old school spattering involved. I've been very impressed with the work and thoroughness in which it was carried out. I'm not revealing the final bill but I'm OK with it. There are some things which have left us all baffled but hopefully it's sorted now

In that case it sounds honest indeed - fingers crossed all is good (and that no one else is having similar issues)...

Return to “Boxertech”