Coding ... car not bike :)

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

slparry

Coding ... car not bike :)

Postby slparry » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:56 am

So just about every BMW car I've ever had has been able to auto lock the doors at 4km per hour. Given my recent "incident" I thought I'd get it "enabled" or "coded".

The local BMW car emporium wanted 35 to 50 quid for doing the job.

The necessary "doohickey" for doing it your self (and a load of other jobs with the cars internal systems) was a tenner off ebay. I had an older version of the software and "doohickey" but it only works with Windows XP.

On eBay there was a vendor advertising a revised version of the "doohickey" and software that would work with Windows 7 to 10. It was twice the price of its older version but I thought hey ho it was still under £20.

Ordered, delivery was quick and last night I opened the package and read through the install instructions, alarm bells went when it said to disable my anti-virus. Which of course I didn't do.

Seconds after putting the cd into my W7 laptop Sophos started screaming about DoS virii infections. In all the CD had three Denial of Service infections which, had I disabled my AV, my laptop would now be being used to attack websites around the world and ne're do wells would have a nice back door into my system.

Anyway I binned the infected cd (btw it was exactly the same version as the older one I had) and found I could get the older software working in compatibility mode on W7.

So out to the car, plugged the "doohickey" in and 10 minutes later my car is coded to lock the doors at 4kmh, and while I was at it I added a blip sound to alarm arming process :)

Moral is, don't ever disable your AV unless you REALLY trust who's asking you to do so!

The vendor will be getting a negative feedback from me! :D

... and John (SP250) ... I can hear you rolling your eyes and cussing Luddite curses from here ;)

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/31803381/ns/t ... tCNSruG_yE
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Return to “Boxertech”