Fork Seals

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Humbug

Fork Seals

Postby Humbug » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:07 pm

Just popped new fork seals in the 12S. I was surprised how easy it was to do. Callipers off, wheel off, ABS sensor removed, one bolt out of the front mudguard, undo the single bolt on the top yoke, lift slider and remove circlip, undo two bolts on bottom yoke and slide out fork. Undo the air bleed screw on top and pull slider out.
Then it simple to remove the circlip, prise out the old deal, pop in the new one, 600ml oil and replace in reverse order. Took 1.5 hours for the pair.
10 KTM RC8

milleplod

Re: Fork Seals

Postby milleplod » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:44 pm

Crikey, that does sound a lot easier than I thought it would be! :shock: I bottled out of doing my ST's myself (just before it got written off....) and paid around £80/90 for a local 'old-school' bike guy to do them.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Neil178

Postby Neil178 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:14 pm

There’s a joke in here somewhere, ala the 2 Ronnies!

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:56 pm

It makes it so much easier with the forks not actually being standard, they are only held together by the shock absorber and as soon as they are removed, the slider and fork leg merely pull apart (once the air screw is removed).
Should really have taken photos and posted.
10 KTM RC8

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:04 pm

Humbug wrote:It makes it so much easier with the forks not actually being standard, they are only held together by the shock absorber and as soon as they are removed, the slider and fork leg merely pull apart (once the air screw is removed).
Should really have taken photos and posted.

The very least you can do is to re-do it and then do a proper instructional! :D

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

jmhill373

Postby jmhill373 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:06 am

I changed mine a couple of weeks ago.

An easier way is to undo the pinch bolt on the top yoke and pull the upper fork tube up through it.

Its a bit fiddly but you can remove the seal from the lower fork tube in-situ and then put it all back together.

Regards,

Jon

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:16 pm

I did think of that but couldn't work out a way of turning the bike upside down to remove the existing oil and top up with the right amount. The original oil had done 85000 miles and deserved to be retired. There was quite a bit of cheese like residue which is apparently where water has emulsified in there. Probably not too much of a problem for low mileage bikes I suppose but mine has had a tough life.
10 KTM RC8

Return to “Boxertech”