Tail tidy - ridiculously small plate

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

victorlaszlo

Tail tidy - ridiculously small plate

Postby victorlaszlo » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:37 pm

Has anyone fitted one?

I'm thinking of getting one of these cigarette package sized plates and fit it near the shock or similar. I'm tired of £130 fines for being an inch over the white lane into the bus lane.

I know perfectly well this isn't 100% legal but at the same time the councils are getting ridiculous in trying to scrape in a few more pounds that they as well use the laws in a way they weren't designed to (forbidden to ride in bus lanes to not hinder the bus traffic but me being an inch over the white line isn't holding up any busses so issuing a fine in that case defeats the purpose of the law in the first place). Besides, the government has reduced the police to so ridiculous levels that there are hardly any controls on the road anyway :roll:

Any photos or links to where to find brackets would be appreciated :)

milleplod

Re: Tail tidy - ridiculously small plate

Postby milleplod » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:31 pm

Remove the plate altogether - same offence as a tiny plate being displayed, but nowhere near as much demonstrable intent! As you say, there's nobody out there enforcing anyway, take your chances and if you get a pull....it must have fallen off. :)

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

victorlaszlo

Postby victorlaszlo » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:01 pm

milleplod wrote:Remove the plate altogether - same offence as a tiny plate being displayed, but nowhere near as much demonstrable intent! As you say, there's nobody out there enforcing anyway, take your chances and if you get a pull....it must have fallen off. :)

Pete

Reckon it would get towed while park that way...

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:07 pm

victorlaszlo wrote:
milleplod wrote:Remove the plate altogether - same offence as a tiny plate being displayed, but nowhere near as much demonstrable intent! As you say, there's nobody out there enforcing anyway, take your chances and if you get a pull....it must have fallen off. :)

Pete

Years ago when couriering it was common to put a black bin bag over the rear plate while parked delivering packages to offices. Apparently traffic wardens weren't allowed to touch or remove the bags so were unable to see the plate for a ticket. I guess the same applies nowadays ;)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

victorlaszlo

Postby victorlaszlo » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:23 pm

slparry wrote:
victorlaszlo wrote:

Pete

Years ago when couriering it was common to put a black bin bag over the rear plate while parked delivering packages to offices. Apparently traffic wardens weren't allowed to touch or remove the bags so were unable to see the plate for a ticket. I guess the same applies nowadays ;)

I have heard this is not the case, and actually never was, and that they can call for a tow truck as it is considered an unlicensed vehicle. Whether they do it or not is another question but I wouldn't risk that. However with the non existent police forse and non existent road blocks having a hooligan small plate tucked in just ahead of the shock would at max carry a fine of £50 or so and possibly a few points but with a risk that is non-existent... Only question is where to find a suitable bracket...

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:29 pm

thing is if there's no plate you can argue it's just fallen off and I beleive it's a £30 fine with no points, however, doing other things can be construed as attempting to pervert the course of justice and that's a much more serious offence :)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:31 pm

Not a small plate, but someone on this forum.......................... :lol:

All very well going for a small (7x5?) plate where you don't have lots of ANPRs but I wouldn't contemplate in built up commuting.
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

victorlaszlo

Postby victorlaszlo » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:21 pm

slparry wrote:thing is if there's no plate you can argue it's just fallen off and I beleive it's a £30 fine with no points, however, doing other things can be construed as attempting to pervert the course of justice and that's a much more serious offence :)

But whereas there are no police around doing any kind of checks, the councils have armies of parking wardens, approximately one per block in Islington, that are out there to drive revenue as the government has cut the funding to the councils with 2/3 meaning they will use any rule to fine/tow you vehicle. So the risk is still much greater with no plate (when parking) than having a ridiculously small plate.

bikemad99

Postby bikemad99 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:28 pm

Would it not be less hassle to keep the right side of the white line? :oops:
2000 BMW R1100s
1964 Royal Enfield 250cc Crusader
2012 Mazda Mx5 2.0ltr Kuro.
2004 Roller Team Granduca 171.
1992 Jaguar 4ltr Sovereign.
2018 Volvo t3 v40 Cross Country.
Reg & Gwen.

victorlaszlo

Postby victorlaszlo » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:47 pm

bikemad99 wrote:Would it not be less hassle to keep the right side of the white line? :oops:

Shouldn't bikes be allowed on all bus lanes? Currently the councils are running a money making scheme by randomly not allowing with seemingly no reason, while tfl allows us in all bus lanes. We can't be a bigger problem om the end of Caledonian Road than on Euston or camden Road, much busier but run by TFL. Civil disobedience is the solution when politicians stop listening to the people or the council workers are too incompetent and/or lazy to do a proper job.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:02 pm

bikemad99 wrote:Would it not be less hassle to keep the right side of the white line? :oops:
Stop being sensible Reg we have an anarchistic thread going on here, i`m loving the free spirit of not wearing a plate. I went to B and Q at Hermiston gate to buy some material to finish off a job. I was in the store for 10minutes the car park was 15pc full. I got a ticket cos my van wheel was parked over the white parking bay lines, the fine has now racked up to £160.00, I have ignored all correspondence and am waiting for my moment in court, Ha I`ll show em! There is no brown threatening letter dropping on that idiot prince`s doormat for nearly massacring 3 innocent people. Anarchy,

Let the man have his gripe and lets offer a shoulder of sympathy :wink:
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:12 am

boxerscott wrote:
Stop being sensible Reg we have an anarchistic thread going on here, i`m loving the free spirit of not wearing a plate. I went to B and Q at Hermiston gate to buy some material to finish off a job. I was in the store for 10minutes the car park was 15pc full. I got a ticket cos my van wheel was parked over the white parking bay lines, the fine has now racked up to £160.00, I have ignored all correspondence and am waiting for my moment in court, Ha I`ll show em! There is no brown threatening letter dropping on that idiot prince`s doormat for nearly massacring 3 innocent people. Anarchy,

Isn't this a bit early for such a rant? :wink: You can't have been to the Cannon already
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:16 am

boxerscott wrote:

If you had taken your plates off, before going in to the store- you would have avoided the demands completely!

Never mind that pretentious “Cafe Chris” signature-

you should have:

“Every trip - An adventure”. :lol:

See if that works .....

SP250

Postby SP250 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:29 am

Al

Chris can't sign off "Every Trip An Adventure" cos he doesn't own a GS.
He has to go down the Cafe, tatoo and 'shed built' route or bollock naked in the Coop to be making his statement.
Good fun though keep it up.
John M

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:12 am

Van, Car or Bike...............

Just ask him next Boxertrix weekend about his exploits on the roads :lol:

(There is a reason he doesnt have a pilot’s license) :drunken:

See if that works .....

Return to “Boxertech”