Dash Cam not Helemt cam

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

The Teutonic Tangerine

Dash Cam not Helemt cam

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:53 am

So not wanting to put up with extra wind noise or buffeting from a helmet camera I looked for an alternative for bikes and found this one on Amazon for £35 plus the cost of a Micro SD card.

It took a couple of hours to fit including figuring out where / how to mount the unit and cameras and hide the wiring. I took the power feed from the RT's fairing mounted accessory socket which is only live when the ignition is on. (I don't use the socket so cut the wires and soldered and heat shrink wrapped the connections and zip tied the spare wire under the fairing. The camera can be disconnected (three plugs, two cameras and one for the power) and removed from the bike or I can just pop it into the lockable storage bin on the r/h side of the fairing.

The picture quality is as good as most helmet and dash cams(sound quality is not so hot but its not meant for making a feature film) Test footage taken in the garden can be found on the Dengie100MCC facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Dengie-100-Mot ... 529170462/
Attachments
Dashcam mounted.jpg
Dashcam mounted.jpg (131.03 KiB) Viewed 4122 times
Rear cam.jpg
Rear cam.jpg (77.08 KiB) Viewed 4122 times
Front Cam.jpg
Front Cam.jpg (66.72 KiB) Viewed 4122 times
Last edited by The Teutonic Tangerine on Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

Blackal

Re: Dash Can not Helemt cam

Postby Blackal » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:34 am

I bought one for fitting this winter - undecided as to whether to put the module under the seat or in the cockpit (since it switches on and off with the bike and overwrites the oldest files when full.

Thinking out loud - I’ll hide the monitor and the cameras out of sight.

(Nice swimming pool - I’ll bring my trunks, when I visit............... :D )
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

The Teutonic Tangerine

Re: Dash Can not Helemt cam

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:53 am

I decided to have the head unit in view and effectively use it as a "blind spot" mirror as on rides out with the club sometimes when your are traffic lights the bu**ers get so close behind you that you can't see 'em in your mirrors. But I take your point sticking it out of the way under the seat means its secure and just acts like a "black box".

Your trunks comment reminds its time I put the pool away for winter - ie winter cover on and drain the filter as we are now getting frosts.
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

Return to “Boxertech”