Euro 3 & the R1200ST

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Dids

Euro 3 & the R1200ST

Postby Dids » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:46 pm

Thinking of buying a 2006 R1200ST but am struggling to discover whether it meets Euro 3 emissions standards.
It's important to me as I live in London and ULEZ emissions are being implemented next April.

The TFL ULEZ online vehicle checker says it's OK - but then it initially said my R1150RS would be OK & then changed its mind.... :-|

I've contacted BMW who gave me a vague statement that they thought bikes after January 2006 would meet Euro 3, but no firm commitment.

Does anyone happen to know the 2006 R1200ST Euro 3 status?

Cheers

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Re: Euro 3 & the R1200ST

Postby Paul » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:49 pm

No, but if you can find one advertised that you are interested in, then presumably you could use the license plate checker on the ULEZ web site to give you an answer before you commit to buying?
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

popsky

Postby popsky » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:16 pm

There’s 2 ST for sale on Auto Trader both 05 plates and when inputting the reg no into the ULEZ checker both don’t meet the requirements, My 12s is in essence the same engine but mine was registered in 07 and that passes, so maybe it’s purely age related in this instance but as Paul suggests input any ST reg number post 05, good luck
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:58 pm

Ironic is it not, I would bet that German manufactured engines of any era purporting to meet emission regs, simply do not, and when proved so, nothing happens in Europe but in USA they have to buy them all back! Infuriating, Good luck, buy one with the certification just to keep the blighters off your back.

Chris.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Dids

Postby Dids » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:30 pm

Thanks for your replies.
I've been in touch with BMW again and have had this response:

"Good afternoon David
Thanks for your further email and your patience while I’ve looked into this for you.
When this bike was manufactured (2006) there were no requirements to allocate EU emission compliance certification or publish such emissions data as it wasn’t enforced yet. As such this bike hasn’t got an EU emissions standard rating allocated to it.
With this in mind, during this time bikes where generally manufactured to EU3 standards. But, I can’t guarantee this is the case for this particular bike.
I hope this helps and if there’s anything else I can do for you, please let me know.
Kind regards"

I think Transport for London assume that all vehicles have an emissions rating, but as you can see, this isn't the case for earlier motorcycles.

At the moment Transport for London are considering motorcycles from 2006 onwards are going to be ULEZ compliant.
But......
Who knows they could easily change their minds
Their ULEZ Vehicle Checker is full of disclaimers, allowing them to change their minds, without any legal consequences:

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra- ... ecker-ulez

I've seen a 2006 R1200ST that I quite like - might just go for that and keep my fingers crossed that Transport for London don't change their minds, again...

Return to “Boxertech”