Battery charger connection

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

SLOSR11S

Battery charger connection

Postby SLOSR11S » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:07 am

Morning all

School boy error here. Bought an Optimate charger thinking I could plug straight into this connection. Wrong. Anyone able to indentify this one and maybe suggest a work around. I suppose I could left all the body work and fit the Optimate lead onto the battery but time is scarce just now. Thanks in advance. Sorry I just can't seem to get the images to appear on Boxertrix for some reason. Tried all the combinations.

https://flic.kr/p/QNcU8c

milleplod

Re: Battery charger connection

Postby milleplod » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:16 am

You need an adapter lead that enables connection to the later SAE type. eBay item no. 352452722463 will do nicely! :)

https://www.optimate.co.uk/optimate-connectors/

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

SLOSR11S

Postby SLOSR11S » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:56 am

Ah that's really straightforward. Brilliant, thanks Pete.

Regards

Loz

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:25 am

I recently had to replace my Optimate after it gave up in the heatwave (remember the heatwave - doesn't seem possible now). Anyhoo, I couldn't get a new one with the old style connector (as in your photo above), so also had to get new fly leads. Bummer. I now have a couple of old style connector fly leads spare.

Why did they feel the need to change connector style, I wonder?

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:56 am

Grip Fast wrote:I recently had to replace my Optimate after it gave up in the heatwave (remember the heatwave - doesn't seem possible now). Anyhoo, I couldn't get a new one with the old style connector (as in your photo above), so also had to get new fly leads. Bummer. I now have a couple of old style connector fly leads spare.

Why did they feel the need to change connector style, I wonder?

So they can sell you an adapter! :lol:
Nocto Diuque Venamur

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:37 pm

I see you hunt by day and night .
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:18 pm

The Teutonic Tangerine wrote:I see you hunt by day and night .

I did, back in the day....85 Sqn. :D
Nocto Diuque Venamur

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:44 pm

:occasion5: :occasion5: :D I had to look it up. I like to look up these things - Nunc est bibendum
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:21 pm

The Teutonic Tangerine wrote::occasion5: :occasion5: :D I had to look it up. I like to look up these things - Nunc est bibendum

Cheers! :occasion5:

I did Latin at 'O' level....the only thing I can remember, apart from the RAF's and old squadron's mottos of course, is 'da mihi osculum meum suspirium'...... :shock: :lol:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:57 am

milleplod wrote:
The Teutonic Tangerine wrote::occasion5: :occasion5: :D I had to look it up. I like to look up these things - Nunc est bibendum

Cheers! :occasion5:

I did Latin at 'O' level....the only thing I can remember, apart from the RAF's and old squadron's mottos of course, is 'da mihi osculum meum suspirium'...... :shock: :lol:

Pete

A useful chat up line in 50 BC in Ancient Rome I suspect :D

SLOSR11S

Postby SLOSR11S » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:44 pm

quote="milleplod"]You need an adapter lead that enables connection to the later SAE type. eBay item no. 352452722463 will do nicely! :)

https://www.optimate.co.uk/optimate-connectors/

Pete[/quote]

Afternoon all.

That connector doesn't fit after all. The TM end is male the same as the cable coming from the battery and its a CTEK fitting on the battery end i found out (my eye sight isn't what it once was). I gave Optimate a call. Very friendly helpful people. They say that they don't have an adaptor to fit the CTEK. So unless i can find another work around i'll get on with lifting the bodywork to fit the Optimate SAE eyelet cable to the battery. Cheers for now.

Loz

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:43 pm

I had a similar problem. the Dealer had fitted a charger tail to the battery it had a black plug with a red rubber cap - My low end optimate came with a white Nylon plug. So I bought some new nylon plugs from e bay and changed the plug on the tail from the battery. This now matches a wire from a power socket (fag lighter type to power up my sat nav which I fitted into the bottom of the storage bin in the fairing) so when I want to connect the charger I lift the seat and disconnect the power socket and plug in the charger

Return to “Boxertech”