Fuel Grade

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

LEEGS

Fuel Grade

Postby LEEGS » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:04 am

Hi,

I’m a complete newbie here with a 2007 R1200S being delivered on Friday, I’ve taken a leap of faith in the forums and hope the bike lives up to all the positive feedback.

I have a very simple question to throw out there, which fuel grade do you use for this bike?

I only ask as I downloaded a riders manual and it recommends 98 or 95! :|

Any recommendations out there or does it not matter which?

GerryB

Re: Fuel Grade

Postby GerryB » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:36 am

In my case, living here in Spain , I use Repsol 98 or Repsol super 95 if the particular garage doesn't have 98.

But , I'd recommend you stay away from supermarket stuff, just too many additives in it.

The additives go like jelly when standing , and rot the fuel lines, block the tubes and clog the injector nozzles .

My girlfriend has a Fiat Arbarth, and that too is seriously recommended only the best you can get, I think she uses Shell in the UK .

Good luck, I'm sure you'll become hooked and addicted like most of us .
Old man ... now .
Ex Off Road & Enduro Rider...

ted

Postby ted » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:36 pm

i definitely stick with the higher octane stuff on mine - they are pretty high compression and although they will run on 95 by using the knock sensor i wouldn't cut corners myself.

I would agree about supermarket fuel. Many years ago i worked in the motor trade and we had quite a lot of issues with supermarket fuel with valves sticking etc. It was explained to me that the supermarkets buy their fuel from the international markets run by the big oil suppliers, whilst the fuel officially meets all of the standards it is the surplus fuel that they discount. With their own fuel they then add the detergents etc which makes the fuel of a better quality. The supermarket stuff is just the basic fuel which is fine for most standard cars etc but not great for high revving, high powered engines

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:26 pm

ted wrote:i definitely stick with the higher octane stuff on mine - they are pretty high compression and although they will run on 95 by using the knock sensor i wouldn't cut corners myself.

I would agree about supermarket fuel. Many years ago i worked in the motor trade and we had quite a lot of issues with supermarket fuel with valves sticking etc. It was explained to me that the supermarkets buy their fuel from the international markets run by the big oil suppliers, whilst the fuel officially meets all of the standards it is the surplus fuel that they discount. With their own fuel they then add the detergents etc which makes the fuel of a better quality. The supermarket stuff is just the basic fuel which is fine for most standard cars etc but not great for high revving, high powered engines
The R`series are not exactly high powered high revving engines. I use inexpensive stuff, in my van and my boxer. I once used premium grade v power petrol with lousy results in my van. It runs on diesel. :)
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

popsky

Postby popsky » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:28 pm

Hi and welcome to the site. A very good choice you’ve made I hope you enjoy as much as I do mine.
11 years ownership 36K miles all pleasure, continental touring and plenty of 500+ days and only ever run on 95 octane fuel. There is a consensus that 98 will make the engine run smoother but I think you’d have to try a few tank fulls to notice, on the odd occasion I’ve filled it up with 98 I’ve not noticed any difference in performance, fuel saving or smoothness.
But really it’s what you’ll be happy doing it’s your machine just get out there and ride it.
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

ted

Postby ted » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:24 am

the R1200s is not high powered or high revving in comparison to lots of engines but it is high compression which makes a difference to detonation and fuel burning - just my opinion :)

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:37 am

Welcome to the forum. I love the R1200S and couldn't bring myself to sell mine when I bought a Tiger 800. The Tiger is my workhorse, mainly because of the top box for carrying stuff and all-day comfort, but it's the BMW I really enjoy riding.

I always put the super grade fuel in the Beemer whenever it is available, because that's what is recommended. But on journeys through France, or in remoter parts of Scotland I was occasionally forced to fill up with the lower grade, and didn't notice any difference in performance, including MPG.

LEEGS

Postby LEEGS » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:36 am

Hi All,

Many thanks for all your replies, just good to get feedback rather than just what I read in the manual.

Only 24hours to go until delivery, I think I know what I will be doing all day Saturday :D

Brought a one owner R1200S in red & silver with low mileage, it does look good, hope it rides like it looks.

I’ve had about 7 Boxer engines from Aircooled to LC so familiar with the characteristics of these engines but still looking forward to this one.

:bounce:

LEEGS

Postby LEEGS » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:34 pm

Bike was delivered today and it’s mint :D

Very happy with it so far
Attachments
EA3E5F07-5414-4139-BA94-DA483B3C182A.jpeg
EA3E5F07-5414-4139-BA94-DA483B3C182A.jpeg (993 KiB) Viewed 11180 times

LEEGS

Postby LEEGS » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:37 pm

And another one

LEEGS

Postby LEEGS » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:38 pm

Photo added this time
Attachments
055A67EB-1D22-464F-9354-071775BF541E.jpeg
055A67EB-1D22-464F-9354-071775BF541E.jpeg (897.99 KiB) Viewed 11179 times

Justcruising

Postby Justcruising » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:29 pm

This topic has been discussed before, also see here http://boxertrix.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23719
2006 R1200S (Magma-Red/titan-silver) - Michelin PR4s, Akrapovic slip-on silencer, Ohlin suspension, Ilmberger Carbon hugger & Carbon valve-covers, Corbin seat.

2010 R1200R
2004 R1200C Montauk

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:41 am

That’s a very nice example of a distinctive colour scheme...........

All you need to do now - is get those BT21s worn down quickly and get some more modern rubber on.

(At least - I think they are BT21 :| )

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

LEEGS

Postby LEEGS » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:08 am

Hi,

Funny you mentioned my tyres in the last post, they are BT023 which were put on by the seller just before I broiught it 6 weeks ago, anyway whilst in Wales over the Easter weekend I had a moment in a corner where the front slid which caused me to stand the bike up, fortunately all was ok but couldn’t get my head around the cause, I wasn’t overly pushing it just flowing along at a comfortable pace.

Obviously it played with my head and I was far more cautious for the rest of the weekend than normal, therefore I will get the suspension checked out/set up for me at some point and perhaps change the tyres to something a bit stickier.

What’s the preferred choice of tyres for these bikes? I will probably only do 1000-1500 miles per year and mostly dry miles unless I get caught out, So just looking for a set of good grippy tyres for the road?

Cheers

Return to “Boxertech”