Seized suspension

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

stevesilver

Seized suspension

Postby stevesilver » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:54 pm

Haven't been on here for a while as fell out of love with my 11S, but now seem to have the spark back.

You guys really are the best at problem solving after all my troubles last year, so here's another question for you.....

Haven't bothered before but the suspension knobs, one on top of tank for the front and the rear shock adjuster knob have seized. Been like it for a while, any suggestions other than ditch the shocks?
If it makes a difference I have the yellow spring shock

The Teutonic Tangerine

Re: Seized suspension

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:19 pm

If you like the way it rides leave them alone- If you replace or get the knobs working you'll only introduce self doubt, un-reconciled fears and confusion :D
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

stevesilver

Postby stevesilver » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:34 pm

If the suspension is supposed to be rock hard then its absolutely fine.......

SP250

Postby SP250 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:53 am

I had the driveshaft seize in the output splines and that prevented the rear end moving much, so felt like rock hard suspension, but the shock just couldn't do its job.
Might be worth checking.
John M

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:54 pm

stevesilver wrote:If the suspension is supposed to be rock hard then its absolutely fine.......

The knob on the rear shock is just a hydraulically operated preload , so won't make the suspension harder and the screw at the base of the shock adjusts the rebound . The front adjuster is afaik just rebound adjustment although maybe it alters bump also. Fwiw I had a front shock that felt like it had no movement/ was seized although the adjuster was fine and the bike "handled " ok . When I eventually treated myself to a new set of shocks ( Wilbers built to my weight (a very modest 100kg :wink: ) the difference was a revelation in terms of rider comfort over uneven surfaces never mind handling.

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

Return to “Boxertech”